Northstar into a 2nd Gen

ikessky

I did a search and all I really came up with was people saying it couldn't be done to the 1st gens, so I thought I would bring this up.

Lately I've been toying with the idea of what I should do to my '01 Century once the 3100 blows. Do I go to a 3400 (direct replacement), SC 3800 (direct replacement for the most part), or something else? The 3400 swap is kind of old-hat now and doesn't get you any more power than the stock 3100. The L67 swap would be just as easy, but then I'd basically just have a Buick Regal. Then I started thinking about the Northstar engines. What would a guy need to do to put one of these into a 2001 Buick Century? It would definitely be different and I doubt it's ever been done before.

I'm looking for some information as to what kind of a job it would be. Obviously I'll need the engine, trans, wiring harness, PCM for it. Do I need axles or anything else? As I said before, the L67 swap would be very easy, but do I really want to do that and end up driving a Regal wannabe?

Its probably never been done before, and if you wanna do it go for it!

It HAS been done before.

I'm not sure what's involved, but I've been told the tranny, engine, and halfshafts all fit. It's a lot of work, and I think your car will be non-drivable for awhile.

www.l67swap.com

Again, this will be a last resort if I can't find out more info on the Northstar swap.

It HAS been done before.

Into a Century or just a different 2nd Gen W-Body? Links???

If all goes half-ways decent, I will be able to get the engine and trans and build them on stands. Then, I'll pull into the garage, remove the old motor and start dropping stuff into place. Things always take longer than expected, but if it is done this way, I wouldn't think that it should take longer than 2 weeks.

It HAS been done before.

Into a Century or just a different 2nd Gen W-Body? Links???

GM put one into the OSV Oldsmobile Intrigue.

Some creative person put one into a 97-03 body style Grand Prix. It was for sale on Ebay once, and I think the link was posted here somewhere not too long ago. I don't have the link to the auction anymore, maybe someone else does?

I THINK that's the same Grand Prix that the owner emailed me some larger pics of once, but those are on my computer at home. I think all he had to fabricate is the passenger side motor mount, but I'm not sure.

Hmmmmm....... and after browsing some of the Cadillac boards, I kind of feel like it would just be worth not getting a headache and going for the L67 swap. :roll: Oh well, I guess I can become a sheep....... Hopefully someone gets their hands on a 3900 right away and figures out a swap into the 2nd Gen's! :)