Secondary Cooling fan

RenegadeZ

Does anyone know at what point the secondary cooling fan kicks on? I can see evidence on the radiator that it has run but not too much.... I've been seriously thinking about wiring it so it will run when ever the main fan is running. I was reading a post a while back & a guy was going to install a switch to where he could control when the secondary fan ran.

I just read a post about running the fans off of a manual switch I may do that... Would installing a lower temp stat cause the secondary fan to run more often? I currently run the stock 195 degree stat... I just bought it last night but I havent put it in yet, I've been debating on whether or not I want to go to 180 degrees

Damn I dont know why I even asked "if the fans would come on quicker if I installed a lower temp stat" I knew tha answer to that. Good look on the info... are there any female members on here? jus curious

I have connected my secondary fan wire to the primary fan wire. When the primary fan kicks in, the secondary fan kicks in too. Takes quicker to cool down the coolant temperature.

Nah I dont need the post for pussy thats what the Z is for, anyway I was just asking to see if we had any chickz on hea that were onto there rides... I met me one wit a nice rack & she lovez carz :D... only thing is she likes (drives) saturnz .... oh well, she still is a rack-a-teer!

first fan 220*

second fan 227*

i thought it was 200* and 207*

na....T-stat is at 195* so why have the fan at 200*. Let the car sit in traffic for a while on a hot day. When it gets to 220, you'll see it start going down. Thats the first fan. If you let it get real hot, you'll see it at 227. The fan doenst come on at the t-stat

i guess so. i dont worry about it to much anymore b/c my fans turn on at 180* or when its hot and sitting i just flip the ignistion to on and they kick on 8) for like 5mins or more. i seen it go from 160 to 50*s

first fan 220*

second fan 227*

i have yet to hear the fans come on in my GP.

gauge goes up oh so close to 220, but no fan turns on.

temps range from around 195 up to about 210 or so.

when under the hood tonight i noticed that the plenum and rad hoses were HOT HOT HOT.

but no fan.

can i test them somehow to see if they are working or bad?

Monty

If you turn on your A/C the primary should kick on, but I don't know that parameters for it to. (coolant temp, air temp, etc.)

i asked a coworker today about it and he said the exact same thing.

that at least one of the fans should come on when AC is turned on.

Monty

I've NEVER seen the second fan come on except for when I have the A/C on. One day when it was like 30*C I made a point of going outside and letting the car idle for a good half-hour so see if it would click on... nothing. Then I put the A/C on and right away the fan started up. Is something wrong or is this how it's supposed to work?

• 2 weeks later...

so this past week i tore both of the cooling fans out and hot wired them to the battery. the worked that way.

but still have not heard them come on any other way.

even when i turned the AC on.

where do i look next?

Monty

• 2 weeks later...

My car, 89 TGP has two fans and they both have relays in the fuseblock above the left (passenger) front tire. Make sure they both work. After you reattach your fans you can backprobe the relay socket with a 12v line from the battery and one for a ground and see if the fans work. That would make sure the lines from the relay to the fans work. Then turn the car on and make sure there is a 12v signal going into the relay. Then if you plug the good relays back into the block and it gets above 230 w/o either of them clicking on or the fans going then you probably can isolate the problem to the sensors or the circuit controlling the relays.

Can anyone follow this and make sure its right?

-jheiv