AirFuel Ratio 0xy. Sensor

GrandPrix34

To properly tune the engine with what I plan, I wanted to get an 02 sensor that read everything (wideband), not like the one i have right now which is more for show than to actually tune...

What kind of 02 sensor would i need? Would a 4 wire sensor do or is it a special 02 sensor? ALso, saying I would get my hands on the 02 sensor, would I have to buy the special device that interprets the voltage signal or could I simply use the cheapy one I have for looks?(Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge)

You need a wideband and the associated electronics. $100+ for the sensor and $150+ for the electronics (there is a $30 VW WB sensor out now...) There are several different types of sensor and none of them are cross-compatible even to each other.

There are some electronics that output a narrowband signal, otherwise you need to weld in a second O2 bung for the wideband as the ECM WILL NOT work on a wide band.

Your O2 guage is meant for a narrowband, and if you're tuning: if its not in the ALDL stream its pretty much useless.

W3RD, I am building my DIY-WB 02 soon. I have the parts, just need to put it together. It uses the Honduh 5 wire (for the 1.5 VTEC I think) Which is pretty expensive, but I think it's so expensive because of this friggin DIY project. It didn't used to be. http://www.diy-wb.com

You need a wideband and the associated electronics. $100+ for the sensor and $150+ for the electronics (there is a $30 VW WB sensor out now...) There are several different types of sensor and none of them are cross-compatible even to each other.

There are some electronics that output a narrowband signal, otherwise you need to weld in a second O2 bung for the wideband as the ECM WILL NOT work on a wide band.

Your O2 guage is meant for a narrowband, and if you're tuning: if its not in the ALDL stream its pretty much useless.

It is ALDL via Laptop through an interface module from SplitSec.com. Thanks for the info. I know about the welding the bung for the O2 and about the ECM not working. Thanks for clear up the non-cross compatible systems

AEM makes a new wideband gauage kit for cars http://www.aempower.com/product_ems.asp I'd check it out, seems like a decent unit for the money, I'm actually thinking about getting one, because by the end of summer, I'm thinking I'll either have a paxton, or a procharger instead of air conditioning, and* nitrous... I've gotta have my fun.

--Dave