Would my 96 Cutlass Supreme be wired for a DIC/mirror

godofthunder

Hey all,

I was wondering if my car would be able to support a DIC or one of those specaial rear view mirror (the ones witht the temp and the compas). Did any W-bodys come with those?

Also, what all does the DIC have on it?

Jon

The last year that was offered with the DIC was 1993. You can put it in a 1994, but I don't think that it is even prewired for it. It just was not offered. It was never offered in the 1995-1997 Cutlass. As to the mirror, you can put one in. There are only 3 wires. A GROUND, a HOT IN RUN, and a wire that is hot when you put it in REVERSE.

Taylor

You could probably put a DIC in your car, but I do not know where you would put it, and I do not know if it can get the ECM based information seeing that in 1994, the Cutlass's were changed to the 3100 SFI and they used FLASH-ROM computers (hernce there not being a DIC offered in 1994. That was when the 3100 came out).

I figured that. if you look, there is no place for it in my car.

As for the mirror...anyone have one for sale? What kind of cars can I get it out of? Also is it prewired? What all do most have on them (temp and dir?).

Jon

the most that I have seen on one is the lights, compass, and temp. Look for one on e-bay, or go to the junkyard, and look for sport utilities, and luxury cars. I got mine out of a Cadillac Sedan DeVille but it just the suto dimming. No lights, or compass (hich I want).

Taylor

As to the DIC, you could probably figure out a way to mount it where the cubblyhole is under your ashtry, but I don't recommend it. It will most likely not look good at all (also, your car lights up at might in an ICE BLUE color, and it will light up TEAL). I know that I just bought a new radio for my Cutlass because everything lights up teal except for the radio (It is from a Grand Prix, so it lights up RED. It is drriving me up the wall).

The DIC was actually only available 89-91. It was not offered 92+.

It will bolt in and work fine in 92-93 Cutlass Supremes, but I don't know if the wiring is there. It will also work fine in a 94 with 3.4 DOHC Cutlass, but I know the wiring is not there. A 94 3100 Cutlass is questionable, as like Taylor mentioned, it has the P6 flash-ROM PCM which has a 32-bit processor, a LOT more RAM, ROM, etc. It might not spit out the appropriate data on the serial bus. No place to mount it in a '95-97, although it might work in a 95 3.4 DOHC Cutlass.

Any car can support a compass/temp rearview mirror. However, W-bodies are not prewired to support it. It was only offered as an option on 97+ Grand Prix, 98+ Intrigue, 99+ Impala, and other gen 2 W-bodies.

I put a Gentex autodimming compass mirror w/LED map lights in my '89 Cutlass Supreme. It works just like the factory mirror with the map lights doubling as a dome light. The compass display matches my digital gauges cluster and auto climate control EXACTLY. It looks great, I didn't want the version with temp because my ACC already displays outside temp. I got mine for $125 off Ebay, pulled from an '00 Intrigue. For my '94, I managed to find a very similar Gentex autodim compass mirror w/LED map lights for $60 shipped from car-part.com. It's from a '99 Intrigue and the housing is a little different, but otherwise identical to the one I got off Ebay. Donnelly also offers (or did offer) an autodim compass mirror with green display and map lights for around $200. If you want the compass, outside temp, and map lights, they usually sell for $200+ on Ebay. I got one with compass and outside temp, but NO map lights for $75 for my Chevy Silverado.

Anyway, they're not prewired, but all you need is the 7-pin Molex pigtail from the car that the mirror came out of. 5-pins will be need to be hooked up, 3 of which go to the factory mirror: +12V constant (for map lights), Ground, and Domelight input. You only have to run 2 additional wires: +12V switched so your compass/temp comes on with the ignition on, and reverse light input so if you have your car in reverse, the autodimming is disabled. This is so the mirror won't dim when you're pulling out of your garage.

BTW, after much research, I've discovered compass mirrors with map lights are VERY rare. The ONLY car I've found that got compass mirrors with map lights in the GM lineup is the Olds Intrigue.