Overcharging

slick

Every once in a while, I'll start up my car. The ampers will shoot into the 18 range, and the engine will run at 2000 RPM's. If I try to drive it like this, the engine will surge like hell. It will finally go away, but it bugs the piss out of me, so i try not to let it run like this. I've disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes, and hooked it back up, and it ran fine then. Any suggestions?

bad voltage regulator or a short? dont know what to tell ya

18 amps is pretty LOW! condisering the stock alt put out 105amps..

if your talking about volts adn amps was a typo,, then it would be a voltage regulator.. i have seen my car get all the way to 14.9volts while driving.. and that is with an UD pully on. normal for my car is ruffly 14.5volts (charging?) and 13.8-14.0 volts normal

he means volts, that is my old car so who better to answer this than me, caus ei thought i fixed it. there is a short of ignition to ground somewhere in that car, don't replace that alt it had less than 3k miles on it when i sold it to u and its acdelco. its something aftermarket, i beleive the alarm. all i can say is pull it all out and rewire it. cause i tracked evrything down to that damn alarm, it had the car misfiring and overcharging, just rip it out and redo it, if u are thinking of throwing away that alarm send it to me and i will get it warrantied for u it has 2 year up here