timing belt questions

canusa

ok i've read the write up on 60*v6.com and i have a few questions. i also have done a search and haven't found answers.

1. why do the cam gears have to come off?

2. why am i timing this thing with the front cams both facing up and both rears facing down i mean shouldn't one for each bank be facing down?

also, when i turn the cams they don't go perfectly flat they are a tiny bit off.

if someone could explain to me how to time this thing it'd be great. i dunno maybe i'm just having a blonde day and am so confused it's not even funny. :? anyways, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

-canusa

:nono: :yikes:

well i shouldnt be talking b/c i paid someone to do it for me.. but i dont believe the cam gears are supppose to come off. and secondly the marks on the wheels should face eachother i believe? not one up and the other down.. something is deffinatly wrong here. i definatly wouldnt try to start the motor until you are absolutly sure on what your doing.. you might want to consult a GM mechanic(not a mufflershop they usually know jack shit)

Cam gears shouldnt be coming off.. And I believe you are talking about the flats on the cams, and not the timing marks. Because the way gm did it, and Im assuming its because they cast the same cams for front rears and just flipped them, then one set of cam flats will be up and one will be facing down. Hopefully all the original timing marks are there and then the dots on the cams should match up to one another.