Valve Seal repair...3.1L

Jon89le

To replace a valve seal on a 3.1, what is needed? That is aside from a tool to compress and remove the spring. Also, can anyone help me out as far as how to do it? Going back home today to repair it tomorrow. Hopefully it fixes the problem.

Are you just doing one valve? or all 12? Its very simple, get the lower intake off then make sure whichever clyinder you are working with is at TDC, then use a compressor tool for the valve spring, take the spring/retainer/keys off then take the old seal off and put the new seal on. The seal "seals" on the shim, so it may be a little tough getting the old seal off, but it should come. I cant think of anything else at the moment

If you aren't removing the heads you'll need a tool to pressurize the cylinder, it goes in place of the sparkplug and will hold the valves in place while you change the seals. So you'll need access to a compressor to pressure up the cylinder. Each cylinder must be set at TDC,so make sure to listen for leaking air before you take off the keepers, dropping a valve means tearing apart the whole topend to get it.

EDIT: Not possitive if you have to pressure the cylinder on a 3.1L to keep the valves from falling out.

You dont need the fill the cylinders with compressed air. Ive changed valve keepers on mine before without doing that. I dont think the valve will fall all the way in if the piston is at TDC. If you are worried, stick in a rope or screwdriver in the spark plug hole rather than mess with compressed air. I used a rope when I did mine, worked fine

The motor is apart already, so the head is chilling out in my basement. So i guess its pretty straight forward then huh? I can reuse all of the other spring parts correct?

The motor is apart already, so the head is chilling out in my basement. So i guess its pretty straight forward then huh? I can reuse all of the other spring parts correct?

Yeah, if the motor is apart its VERY easy. You can re use all the old stuff as long as its not bent or something

Excellent. Well hopefully the new seal and gasket fixes my problem. If not then i guess ill be 'forced' to start my Gen3 swap early then scheduled.

Ok, i replaced the seal but it didnt look bad. How do i know if the seal is bad? Does it just stretch out or for it to fail does it have to crack/break? Here is a thread to how bad the problem was. Thanks.