adding HUD

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

ok here is what i got: a '90 HUD unit and pigtail (15 wires), the dimmer switch and pigtail (4 wires). i also got the black metal HUD bracket. is there anything else i need? where do the wires splice into and is it hard to cut a hole in the dash for this thing? thanks

joshua

It is easy, but time consuming. FOLLOW THE RULE: measure twice, cut once.

I put it in my 1988 Cutlass, but be warned that no matter how carful you are, YOU WILL ALWAYS NOTICE THE IMPERFECTIONS. I do all the time. This is the easiest if it is a GEN 1 HUD. If it is a GEN 2, then I can't really help you. The GEN 1 HUD is bigger, and the height adjuster is on top of it. GEN 2 is smaller, and the HUD adjuster is located next to the DIS under the ashtray. Go to my website, and you can see about the locations, and how it looks (I have a GEN 1 HUD).

http://www.geocities.com/riven5415/interior.html

In the big picture, you can see that the HUD dimmer switch is located to the LEFT of the foglight switch. you will need to cut a notch in the dash for it, and drill a hole, and put a clip in it for the screw to hold it in place.

The unit itself is complicated. You will need 4 short nuts, and bolts to hold the bracket onto the dash. When you are measureing for the hole, keep in mind that the 2 screw holes that go down, and lock in at the 2 screws in the guage cluster go OVER the cluster, not behind it. In mine, I had the hardest time getting it to sit right because I tried to put it behind the cluster, and it was making it sit funny.

If it is a GEN 1 HUD, then you can take the top cover off. Take it off, and use it to measure. That is what is going to have to come out over the dash, so the final cut has to be a close to FLUSh to the edge of the cover as possible. If you make it too big, then you will have gaps. If it is too small, then the unit can not go down into the dash for adjustment purposes. You measure the unit to be about half of a finger width from the speaker cover, and it is suppose to go over the defroster vent, but on mine, I pulled it slightly forward so that I did not have to modify the vent to go under it. When you cut the hole out, I just used a grinding wheel, and take your time. You have to cut through a lot of pastic. When you attach the bracket to the dash, put it in the car, adjust it for fit, and keep taking it out, and putting it back in until it sits right.

WIRING. I can tell you how to do it if you need too, but for now, when you put the plug in going to the HUD, MAKE IT KINDA LONG. If you have to take it out, putting it back in is a pain. Mine is long enough that it will not pull out, but to put it back in, I have to squeeze my hand in there, and it is a major pain.

If you need any other info, just ask, and I will try to help.

Taylor

Guest TurboSedan

thank you very much! i have GEN-1 HUD with the height control lever on top of the unit. i couldn't see your pic but i think i'm gonna go back and measure the dash pad hole in the car i took it out of and take some digi-pics. i'll probably have some more questions as soon as i get into the project. so far it looks like an easier project than the DIC or Auto Climate control upgrade, which i'll be doing also.

joshua

Well, I have done all of those. The DIS is easy, but the auto climate control is not. I will also try to help you out with those when the time comes. I will see if I can find the better pics of my HUD so that you can get a better idea of how it looks. Also, before you actually do it, if I can, I will take some pics of the dash out of the car (assuming that I can get a digital camera).

Taylor

I did something for you. I created a new page on my website with JUST pictuers of the HUD. Every picture that I can find that had the HUD in it, I put on it to try to help you out with it. Just to let you know, that it will seem like there is really 2 cars, but it is the same car. The pictures with the BROWN/GOLD dash, are the pictures from when I had the original dash in the car. the pictures with the GRAPHITE dash are the most recent ones (I put the new dash in the car about a month to a month and a half ago). I am still going to try to get some pics of the dash out of the car so that you can see the wiring, and how the hole and bracket are done. The only other real differance is the fact that my HUD came out of a 1988 Pace Car, so it is slightly differant. I honestly think that the differance is just the height adjuster. Mine is on top like yours, but it is bigger than the ones that I have seen in other cutlass'

Taylor

Here is the link to that page. I did not include it with the rest of my site, so you will have to use the link.

http://www.geocities.com/riven5415/HUD.html

Guest TurboSedan

wow your car is loaded - very nice :) thanks for the pics....i just spent the last 2 hours taking my dash apart. i pulled the whole dash pad off, and i think my car might be pre-wired for HUD. i found a 15-wire white plug that came from the same wiring loom as the instrument cluster. it was just hanging down behind the headlight switch. it isn't like the plug on my '90 HUD tho, which also has 15 wires. is there a difference between '90 & '91 HUD's? the plug in my car has a few of the same colors as my '90 HUD pigtail but not all of them match. a couple months earlier i found that my car was also pre-wired for fog lights too. so....is my base Cutlass pre-wired for HUD or is this plug for something else? thanks for all the help!

btw, i also changed the color of my dash....kinda. i still have a blue dash pad but my sport pod and left vent/headlight switch piece is now black. it all matches my blue and black '90 Grand Prix center console perfectly :)

joshua

First of all, I didn't mean to post that one as many times as I did. It did not want to go through, so I kept hitting SUBMIT. I guess that every time I hit submit, it submitted it :oops:

My car was not originally loaded. I have added almost everything that you see there. The car was originally bench seat, column shift. It only came with Cruise control, tilt steering, intermit wipers, the good radio (4 speakers am/fm cassette that was all buttons, and no knobs). I had the underhood light the trunk light, and the map lights. That was it. Nothing else. No power accesories, and 14 inch wheels.

THE PLUG. Yes, you are prewired for the HUD. the GEN 1 HUD was used from 1989-1990. The GEN 2 HUD was used from 1991-1994. The plug for the switch should be loacted behind the climate control somewhere. It will be hidden REALLY good. For the most part, the wiring is the same for the 2 HUDs. Some of them are differant colors, but I can just tell you what is suppose to be connected where. If you can get the GEN 2 HUD, then it will just plug in and work. You will need the switch for it too work. The HUD gets its power through the switch.

Just play around with it. Look for the harness. The GEN 2 is suppose to go under the ashtray, so it might be in the pod, behind the radio, behind the climate control, in the area under the glove box. Just look around for it. It is there, but you will probably have a hard time finding it.

Taylor

Ahh, a trip down memory lane.

I've done all that stuff to my Cutlass. DIC, Gauges dash, HUD (90 and 91) Auto climate control, seats, sunroof, etc....

If that plug is white (I bet it is) it's not for your HUD. It's for the optional factory radio amplifier. Your car will not be wired for an 89-90 HUD...most aren't. The HUDs for 89-90 are the same, with the level control on top. The 91-94 HUDs have the lever in the dash, next to the DIC.

Like Taylor said, measure twice cut once. You will have to modify the defrost ducting in the dash pad to clear the HUD. Do this with peices of plastic and silicone caulk.

Other than that, mount the metal bracket, mount the dimmer switch, and tap the wires in to the gauge cluster wiring. Every connection you will need is in that harness that goes to the gauge cluster. Get factory wiring diagrams, you will need them. I get mine from my local library, out of the Mitchell repair manual. It sounds like your heading down the road I've already been (converting a base/SL model to an International model) , so if you have questions don't hesitate to PM me.

Hey, I've seen that HUD in Taylors car before. It used to be mine, and it came out of a 1988 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Pace Car. Thats right, it's a rare peice.

Jason

Guest TurboSedan

yep, after doing the 5-speed swap and alot of suspension stuff, i'm finally turning my attention towards the interior. my car originally had a base cluster, bench seat (w/power drivers seat), column shift, cruise, AM/FM/Tape, hood light & trunk light, map lights, trunk release, keyless entry, power locks & windows, dual power mirrors, 14" steel wheels. it wasn't a completely base CS, but it didn't have any of the 'fun' options besides maybe the keyless entry. one of the first upgrades i did to my car was the gauges swap, which pretty much made me fall in love with my CS and i've been addicted to upgrading it ever since. i had the windows tinted with 3M metallized tint, and added a Pioneer 1.5 DIN CD player. during the 5-speed swap i had to change the front seats of course, and i got some from a '91 CS coupe that had the same color and fabric as my original seats so they matched perfectly (they fold forward which i think is kinda cool). the center console came from an '89 5-speed GP, and i added rear bucket seats from another different '91 CS coupe. i don't like how the coupe rear bucket seats look in my car so i'm ditching them for the fold-down sedan seats. and then i finally got a sport pod....which DRAMATICALLY changed the interior....right up there with the gauges cluster. i also got an Auto Climate control, and i have the pigtails for it, the inside & outside temp sensors w/pigtails, but i think i still need some kind of fan control or something for it. the other day i bought a DIC unit along with it's sport pod, and the pigtails of course. i also bought the HUD, and so i now have 3 big wiring projects ahead of me: DIC, HUD, and ACC. there is a nice black steering wheel with the controls on it in the salvage yard that i can get for dirt cheap, and also a set of '90 International Sedan leather seats that are light grey that i'm thinking about buying (can i dye the light grey blue?). so anyway, my car is on it's way to being fully loaded and then some. it's got adjustable TDC rear coilovers and KYB struts, Eibach front lowering springs, Addco rear bar, a 34mm front bar waiting to go in, GTP 16x8 crosslace wheels, and '94+ rear brakes. i've already located a dark blue BYP (International) front bumper, and i just bought all of the skirting too. i just put the rear wrap on this morning and *wowsers*....what a difference!!! i wanted to put the side skirting on but i have to drill holes first :( no biggie i should have it done tomarrow. otherwise, all that would be left is a sunroof....which i have no idea about how i would add?? i've done all the work on the car myself except installing the front springs. ALL mods were done in the past 14 months besides my stereo and window tint. to summarize, i have an incurable addiction to my W-Body. i am sick.

and i'm still collecting TGP parts too; so far i've gotten a TGP radiator/Intercooler with all mounting stuff and both fans, a second TGP Intercooler that includes all of the pipes and hoses, DSM GEN-1 BOV, TGP ECM, both TGP exhaust manifolds, TGP crossover, and i'm hoping to have another TGP crossover and a TGP T-25 turbo *very* soon. so basically all i need is that TGP downpipe and a bunch of small stuff like 2-bar MAP, new oil & coolant supply/return lines, a wastegate solenoid, etc. oh yeah, and a bracket to support the turbo since i am using a Getrag 282 5-speed. Jason, if you can ever duplicate your turbo support bracket i will make it worth your while!

sorry for the long post :oops: i kinda went off tonight...

later everyone and have a happy Thursday :)

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

about that mystery plug i have....it IS white, but it also has 15 wires and my HUD pigtail also has 15 wires. (????) where was the factory amp located at and does the amp even use 15 wires? i'm going to look around for the HUD dimmer switch plug tomarrow. thanks for the help!

joshua

That plug is for the factory amp. The amp is usually located behind the dash, just below the headlight switch. I have the same plug in my car (1991).

Hey, those seats...I really need grey leather seats for my ride. Is there a way I could buy them, and how much would they be?

Jason