Low Oil Light

Green96GTPchick

I did an oil change on my 96 gtp this weekend. Put new oil in, started it up, the low oil light came on. Shut it off, checked, it still needed a quart, so i added the quart. Turned it on agian and thelight stayed off. This morning I started it up to leave for school, the Low Oil lIght came on again, so i shut the car off and turned it back on, light stayed off. left school, no problem. Left for work this afternoon adn it did the same thing. Shut the car off, turn it back on, light stays off. The isnt low on hte dipstick. Could my sensor be going?

sensor'd be my guess, of course, my 91, i ran the thing with half a quart in it before any my light never turned on... of course my car was possessed., annyways, i'd test the sensor, if not hte sensor, the gague cluster.

sensor'd be my guess, of course, my 91, i ran the thing with half a quart in it before any my light never turned on... of course my car was possessed., annyways, i'd test the sensor, if not hte sensor, the gague cluster.

The low oil light only measures the level for something like the first 15 seconds when you start the car. If the level drops anytime after that, the car won't tell you.

Probably your oil sensor is gunked up. BTW, did you replaced the oil filter as well?

I usually use 1 quart qunk motor oil cleaner. I just pour it in even though it will overfill but the instruction says to start the engine and only IDLE it for 5 minutes and turn OFF the engine then drain the oil and replace the filter.

Don't forget to put oil inside the oil filter before putting the new oil filter.

my cutty oil light does the same thing right around the time I need to change my oil (based on the 3000 mile cycle)......I don't if it has anything to do with it, but my oil level is never low...I turn off the car and back on, and the light goes away....a couple days later, I change the oil and the light stays off for around 3000 miles.....I know that isn't what the light is designed to do be it seems to be pretty consistant, normally within a couple hundred miles....

my light used to come on just b4 i had to do an oil change. so i would check it and it ould need anywhere from a 1/2 qt to a qt. now i dont need to add oil anymore since i started running valvoline synthetic blend. but when my light came on, i would shut the car off and then start it again and the light would go off. it could depend if you park on an unlevel surface also. just make sure you add 4.5 qts of oil if you do a full oil change(filter, and oil).

my light used to come on just b4 i had to do an oil change. so i would check it and it ould need anywhere from a 1/2 qt to a qt. now i dont need to add oil anymore since i started running valvoline synthetic blend. but when my light came on, i would shut the car off and then start it again and the light would go off. it could depend if you park on an unlevel surface also. just make sure you add 4.5 qts of oil if you do a full oil change(filter, and oil).

I had a low oil light come on once in my old Grand Am. It was immediatly after making a wrong turn, I drove through a truck only lane at a rest stop in the winter.

Deep ruts of ice scrapped the bottem of my car up. Next time I started her, the oil light came on. Shut it off and back on, it was off. It continued to do that until I changed the oil and noticed the sensor on the oil pan was unplugged.

You might want to check either the wiring to the sensor or the sensor itself (if it works the same, car was a 94, btw.)

• 2 months later...

I've been having the the same problem on my car starting last week. If the car has been sitting for any period of time the "low oil" light will be on when the vehicle is started, it goes off if you restart the car however. I've checked the oil a million times, its not low, so am I to assume this is a simple sensor failure?

I dont know. My problem ended up being that I was short on like 2-3 quarts of oil. :oops: I can't add. :oops: I added some more oil and the light went off. Go ahead, tell me how stupid that was...........

Well I've had that problem, but it goes on for the real deal. I usually have to add at least a quart when it does that, but now I have learned to check my oil periodically(so the light stays off). You never want to mess with low oil....your engine will remind you with the dreadful knock and ping noise if driven like that for too long. The 3100 pisses me off with the noise it makes when its a cold start, sounds like my engine is running totally dry :evil: .

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

Can someone help me in location the sensor for the low oil light?

Jeff

The Oil Pressure Sender is located just up and to the left of the oil filter as stated above.

The Oil Level Sensor is located in the side of the oil pan, easily visible from underneath. It is the only sensor mounted in the pan.

Hello everyone,

Can someone help me in location the sensor for the low oil light?

Jeff

The Oil Pressure Sender is located just up and to the left of the oil filter as stated above.

The Oil Level Sensor is located in the side of the oil pan, easily visible from underneath. It is the only sensor mounted in the pan.

Thanks for your help, I'm looking for the oil level sensor, I'll check tomorrow evening.

Jeff