3.4 dohc worth it or not?

tgpguy21

is it really worth racing a cutlass supreme with a 3.4 dohc? ive been told their quick but im not really sure. also are SHO's really that fast? Any other cars you guys know that are over rated and a tgp can beat or has a hard time with let me know.

SHO's are quick atleast the 93-95's are when mated to 5 speed.....they Rev to like 10K with a Chip.....a TGP can take a SHO with the Right Driver.....and if both are stock its a close Race but the TGP when the Turbo starts winding.....Kicks its BUTT...

Ive raced my freinds lumina with a 3.4 DOHC auto in it and I beat him that was with my air box off and just the turbo sucken air. And my car was missing a little. but he has to let off the gas otherwise his car won't shift. But im pretty sure that a TGP is faster, but dont mess with a 3.4DOHC on the freeway unless you got a stick in your TGP.

yeah i kinda figured that out with a 5 speed sho too. if i line em up with any one at a dead stop they have no chance. im still waiting for a gt mustang to race, has anyone raced one before?

Roush Mustang: a modded version of the Mustang, built by Jack Roush. Just like the Saleen Mustang or the Lingenfelter Firebird/Trans Am.

A stock 5.slow Mustang will do 15.0 stock. A chipped TGP will whoop it's ass. Of course, once they start modding, it's a different story.

Same deal with the 91-94 (1G) Talon/Eclipse AWD Turbos. Stock you'd probably have a chance, but modded watch out. For me it's hard to tell sometimes, so I try to stay away from them. The 95-98 Talons/Eclipses aren't that fast though, so those should be easy to beat. Of course, unless they are modded.

Jason

I have both a 3.4 DOHC car and a TGP. The TGP pulls a lot harder. The 3.4 DOHC is quick and snappy, but I wouldn't say that it's fast.

A stock TGP would easily win races between street lights, and a slightly modded TGP could probably beat one in most any circumstances.

Since the TGP gets its 225lbs tqu at only 2100 rpm vs 4000 for the DOHC,

the turbo can get scooting quicker. The convertable cutlasses are a little on the heavy side, as are most TGP's, but torque is what moves weight the quickest. The difference in the weight of 2 cars can be offset if you see the other car has 1 or more passengers each adding 100-200lbs each.

the 93 eclipse gsx's arent that fast-at least the ones around here arent, but modded might be a different story-and i agree with the newer dsm's being a little sluggish-tgp will take them pretty easily(with my 5 speed :lol: ) and the n/a ones? might as well not waste the gas-but go ahead just to show them y we love our cars so much

my 2 cents

mitch

90tgp 5 sp

the 5-speed show is just flat out fast! the problem is of course universal tranny thats in them can't handle anything and in my friends case was fixed 2 times and replaced 2 times finally he ditched the car. Good yamaha engine, CPOS mazda tranny! I wouldn't take a 3.4L if it was given to me. Nice power not nice maintenance!

I betcha when I line up my 5sp Z34 against yer stock TGP things won't be so cut and dry ;-)

-Tom

I wanna play with the Z34...can I can I???? Oh you said stock TGP...damn it!! 8)

• 3 months later...
:lol: i have had a few dohc w cars and both of them a 92 z34 auto and a 95 z34 m/c both of them have walked tgps well the luminas past tense since it got wrecked but the motor lives in a 84 fiero with the 3.4 and 4t60e and thats beats 93+ f body with lt1s any time any ones in wisconsin ill be glad to take you for a spin

The SHO's had two different motors. There was the 3.0L used in the 5spd manuals and there was the 3.2L used in the automatics. Now there were certain years you could only get the 5spd. My brother put my chip in my auto. Z34 and it was quite an improvement. He happens to have a 93 SHO with the auto tranny(crapped out, big surprise!). He ripped me a new ass because of the intake he has. The SHO's have a two stage intake, very similar to the split-port induction used on the ford windstars and the newer V-6 mustangs. The two stage intakes have twelve individual runers, two for each cylinder. they have one runner for low speed operation and one for high speed operation. Under normal acceleration only one runner for each cylinder is open. At WOT, both intake runners are open allowing for better volumetric efficiency or letting the engine breathe better and faster. The reason for the two motors was for speed reasons. Ford engineered those tauruses to be equal in power and acceleration. On the other hand Chevy didn't give a hoot they dropped the SAME motor in the Z34, the Cutlass and the Grand Prix. The 5spd Z34 was 1.1 second quicker in the quarter than the auto Z34. The reason for that being is the loss of HP through the auto trans. With a manual your creating a direct link to the motor therefore not losing HP, you still lose some with the manual due to rotation friction, but nothing like an automatic. Turbo motors even though claiming the same horsepower as A DOHC motor, They are forcing air into the cylinder creating power much more quicker thats why they are just as fast if not faster than a stock DOHC motor. DOHC motors are what they call square motors. HP and Torque are nearly indentical to each other. They make the torque higher in the rpm range unlike a pushrod motor where they make the torque lower in the rpm range. Just to clear a few things up, dont believe anything you hear, :) :) and only half of what you see

1.1 second quicker as tested from the factory with a professional driver, not in modified form with a inexperienced driver with an ego bigger than the car itself.