Alternator

Flyby736

The voltage that my car reads seems to be different everytime I start the car. Sometimes it reads really high and sometimes its down around 14 or so. When it reads high the car seems like it has a lot more engine power than when it is reading low. Also the voltage bobs up and down when the turn signals are on. Is my alternator going out? Its been like this for a while, seems like it would have ate it by now...

if the voltage is fluctuating quite a bit I'd take it down to Checker/Shucks/Kragen or advance and have them test it. The regulator *MIGHT* be going out. If its putting out over or around 14 volts you should be just fine though.

I dont suppose its possible to change the regulator without changing the alternator? It does stay over 14, thats usually the low, but other times its up around 18. It just seems kinda wierd that it bounces with the turn signal and the car feels slugish when its lower too.

or you can find a shop locally that rebuilds alts. and have it all gone through for cheap. 50-100

but yeah take it to autozone or another place and have them test it. some will do it on the vehicle some will have to have it off the vehicle. but they can tell you if it is good or bad or weak.

Monty

or you can find a shop locally that rebuilds alts. and have it all gone through for cheap. 50-100

for $50-100 you could get a new freaking alt! I think the 36 mo warranty at checker is $94 and the lifetime (very good alts) are around $120.

Check the battery cables too, just a thought. Mine was really really loose until the point the car died when I hit a bump. When it was loose the lights would flicker when I hit the brakes and the dome would dim out when the hazards were on. Once I tightened it, everything stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

My 90 GP does the same thing, but everyonce in a while it spikes really hard and shuts stuff down. Just the other night, it blew all four, Yes I said ALL FOUR, headlights!!! I took it to a mechanic to check it out, he said everything checks out alright. I dunno what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check the battery cables too, just a thought. Mine was really really loose until the point the car died when I hit a bump. When it was loose the lights would flicker when I hit the brakes and the dome would dim out when the hazards were on. Once I tightened it, everything stopped.

Turns out my alternator went bad, got me stuck on the trip home from PA this weekend. 70 bucks later on Monday it was done in 10 minutes.