SES light

My car is starting to worry me. Its been 1 prob after the other. Now when i drive my car it seems like the SES light comes on after the engine has reached operating temp. Why would it only come on then? Bad temp sensor or something? Its weird because it doesnt seem to run any differently after the light comes on.

I also would like to know how to run the codes. I know i need a paper clip or jumper wire but what holes do i put it in in the diagnostic thing? Also where can i find a chart or something that explains what each code means? Thanks again.

Edit: Ok everybody sorry about this post. It seems when i took my air filter cover off to look at my filter i forgot to plug my iat back in lol. This just goes to show even the most thorough inspection can miss 1 tiny little thing lol.

I found the page with the ecm trouble codes and how to do it and i think mine might be code 13 but it doesnt tell me what the flash sequence is for code 13 or any codes other than 12. Is there somewhere i could find that because thats mostly what im interested in. Thanks.

If I remember right.. the flash sequence for 12 is Flash, pause, flash, flash. So the flash sequence for code 13 would be Flash, pause, flash, flash, flash..

Now.. as for what a code 13 is.. I can't find my manual.. or I would tell you, lol

Well i found another website besides this one that explained the trouble codes much better to me.

If I remember right.. the flash sequence for 12 is Flash, pause, flash, flash. So the flash sequence for code 13 would be Flash, pause, flash, flash, flash..

LukeZ34 you are right on that. I will go out and find out what code(s) are being thrown and go from there. Thanks for all your help.

Trouble Code 23 indicates that the Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) sensor or Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is reading lower than expected. When the air is cold, the thermistor has a high resistance, which falls as the air charge warms. Low readings thus indicate possible open circuits in MAT circuit.

Code 23 will set if:

MAT reading is < -31 deg F (-35 deg C)

Time since engine start is 4 minutes or longer.

Vehicle speed less than 1 mph

Start-up coolant temperature is less than or equal to -35.5 C (31.9 F).

All conditions met for 10 sec.

Typical causes for this code include:

Defective MAT or IAT sensor

Open sensor ground circuit

Dirty or corroded connection(s) at MAT/IAT and/or ECM

Open circuit between the ECM and the MAT/IAT sensor

Defective ECM

Ok this is the info about the code i got by doing the paperclip trick. Its throwing a code 23 and the ses light doesnt come on until about 10 or 20 min after i have started driving it. Can someone please help explain what the problem is to me because the info i got is pretty technical. TIA.