Would lots of torque on Axle Nut damage the tranny??

GrandPrix34

I replaced the alternator 2day after breaking a breaker bar :shock: I bought the 36mm axle socket but the breaker bar broke (Cheap import shit!! :evil: ) so i had to take out the axle by removing 4 bolts behind the brake assembly (HUB i believe) and taking the axle out thru the hub.

Would lots of torque on the axle nut damage the tranny?

Whatever you do, don't use an impact wrench on it with the axle still in the tranny. If you pulled the axle out, then it should be okay.

It's best to install the spare tire and set the car on the ground. Then torque on it with your wrench. I use a giant torque wrench to remove/install them and it's never been a problem.

Whatever you do, don't use an impact wrench on it with the axle still in the tranny. If you pulled the axle out, then it should be okay.

Why cant you use an impact? Ive put mine on numerous times with a 3/4" impact

they have special attatchments now that allow impacts to only put a certain amount of torque on something.... they use it on wheels and shit at dealerships....

personally, I don't trust it, lol

I replaced the alternator 2day after breaking a breaker bar :shock: I bought the 36mm axle socket but the breaker bar broke (Cheap import shit!! :evil: ) so i had to take out the axle by removing 4 bolts behind the brake assembly (HUB i believe) and taking the axle out thru the hub.

no, BUT, only break the nut loose, do not loosen it while the weight of the car is on the hub or else the hub will be destroyed.

I use a large 3/4" wratchet with a 3/4->1/2 adaptor

no, BUT, only break the nut loose, do not loosen it while the weight of the car is on the hub or else the hub will be destroyed.

I use a large 3/4" wratchet with a 3/4->1/2 adaptor

thats what i used a 3/4 to 1/2 adapter and the breaker bar tip broke and is now stuck inside the adapter rendering the adapter useless and putting some $$ i spent on that mofo in the shitter!

Jesus, this car is really starting to get on my lst nerve!!!

o don't have an impact here at the house so i use a T break over bar and i stand on it and bounce untill it comes loose

if you only have a break over bar get a cheater and stand on it and bounce untill it breaks loose this way the tool wont break with constant force on the tool

good luck

p.s. the big socket set and break over bar that i have here is in the way of asian made

You can get a cheap plastic 12V impact wrench at Harbor Freight for $20.

It runs off the cig lighter so it's SUPER slow, but it works. I used it on the T60 Torx bolts that hold the caliper bracket on, and it broke those free without causing me to break a sweat. Best $20 I ever spent.

I didn't use it on the hub nut, but since it has no problems with those big T60 Torx I don't see why it wouldn't work on the hub nut.

I use a giant torque wrench to remove/install them and it's never been a problem.

i thought loosening bolts was hard on TQ wrenches?

joshua

Might be, but mine's a cheapie and it's BIG.

It doesn't seem to work any different than a regular ratchet when in switched to reverse (loosening). The "clicker" part of mine doesn't function in loosening mode, so it doesn't really seem like it would wear the clicker mechanism since that part is bypassed. I could be wrong though, only the manufacturer of the torque wrench knows for sure. I read all the warnings... not to leave the dial above minimum for any length of time, not to turn the dial past its lowest torque number, not to continue torquing after the wrench has clicked, etc., but nothing about not using it to loosen!

Guest TurboSedan

that's just what i read with the Craftsman click-type TQ wrench i got for christmas last year, but it's kinda wierd that it has a reverse lever :?: i guess i have a breaker bar anyway, which happens to be my old cheapo TQ wrench :lol:

joshua

that's just what i read with the Craftsman click-type TQ wrench i got for christmas last year, but it's kinda wierd that it has a reverse lever :?: i guess i have a breaker bar anyway, which happens to be my old cheapo TQ wrench :lol:

joshua

reverse for reverse threaded bolts?

Guest TurboSedan

joshua

reverse for reverse threaded bolts?

lol i didn't even think of that! cool :)

joshua

just get a breaker bar and don't run your tq wrench

$20 at sears, however, sears has a major problem with stocking tools when i need them, so the home depot may be a better choice. same price and same warranty there too