B16 Vs. 3.1L or SC 3.8L

pblunt_

Hondas are light car. W-body heavy. B16 V.S. 3.1L W body would win. Your friend is full of shit he would win with a B16. Cause i killed a 96 B16 engine swap lowered, fart can exhuast. by half a car lenght.

Honda can kiss my W-Body Ass

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dkorinko

• pblunt_

• SigEpCutlass

• topless94style

i think he could beat a civic with a b18, so it makes 170 hp. what is that at like 7500rpm? and its peak torque is at 6k possibly? what kind of torque does it make? prob not alot. i have raced a 2001 5 speed civic with the b18, they are quick, but not off the line. if either one of u didn't know what u were doing u could loose, it would be a close race but i think the lq1 would prevail

Seeing as how a B18 wont go in to the newer body style civic, i highly doubt u beat one. :wink:

thats what my buddy at school said he had in it a 1.8 dohc vtech, he called it a b18, how was i supposed ot know i don't know the names of jap motors. whats that special name that honda has for the fast civics? cause his was one of them. well anyways i didn't think it was fast he had exhaust and lowered.

Hondas fast civics are SI's....if he has a civic that is a coupe and its an si then it has a B16...if it is one of those new hatch SI's then its not even a B Series motor, so either he just said 16 instead of 18 or he really is just bullshitting u.

The american B16's are to fast, they have all the economy shit stuck on them, and they have AC and are even marked 10 hp less then the japenese motors...i am thinking a bone stock 2001 SI...without even an intake and exhaust would hit a low 16, maybe a high 15...Just my opinion though.

there's so misinfo in this thread lol

there are many variants of the b16, b18 series motors.

i'm gonna stick to the ones that were available on this continent, cause the list gets even longer if you include jdm motors.

b18a (non-vtec) - 90-93 Integra RS/LS/GS - 130hp in 90/91, 140hp in 92/93 (better designed intake manifold).

b18b (non-vtec) - 94-98 Integra RS/LS/GS - 140hp

b18c1 (vtec) - 94-98 Integra GSR - 170hp

b18c5 (vtec) - Integra Type R - 190hp

b16a (vtec) - 92/93 Del Slows, late 90s Civic SI (SiR in Canada) 160hp

b17 (vtec) - 92/93 Integra GSR (not a very common car anymore)

none of them have much torque to speak of, acceleration is attributed to the close ratio tranny's and light weight of the vehicles themselves.

an early 90s hatch with a b16 swap will run a high 14/low 15 stock with a good driver.

i don't really think a s/c 3.8 has much to worry about, especially from a stop. from a roll, the hondas can be quick.

my 0.02.

my bud w/ a 93 century (3.1) got killed by a 96 integra(lightly modded) ls 5 spd......sothat would be like a b18 b then?....everyone seems to be talking about theories thats an actual fact....course that dude wrecked his integra and got a 97 civic ex auto which i absolutely buried.....ex would be b16 i think then if that helps.

i don't believe the EX Motors are B16's...yes it is VTEC...but not a B16...correct me if i'm wrong though...they run 128hp i believe...but i'll check on the engine code :wink:

EDIT: ok here ya go

92-95 Civic EX/Si

D16Z6 1.6L SOHC VTEC 125hp

96+ Civic EX

D16Y8 1.6L SOHC VTEC 127hp

The B16 Series is DOHC

hey I know it's not a grand national but my buddie has a 1980 buick regal with a 4.9 liter 301 firebird engine in it and that car was the best, the most comfortable car I have ever sat in, lots of room and when you got on the gas she just floated, The car in now rusting out in his back yard but no worries his dad is going to fix it up when he is done with his old international hot rod truck, FUCKING SWEET TRUCK. He also has a 1930 somthing HUDSON he rebiult from a wrek and it has a 6.6 Trans am motor in it that thing soars :twisted: Anyways the regal has been in the family since it was new back in 1980. My take on imports is they do last longer from my expiernce but I still LUV the sound of an American car. 8)

Ok people here's an update on the actually topic of this thread...

My engine blew up before we could race again. (Look for that story in another thread) But now he's says he's dropping the B22 in his '91 Civic Hatchback, and I'm using my engine money to buy another 3.1 Lumina 2 Door. Will his car with new engine spank the stock 3.1 badly?

first off, there is no b22 motor to my knowledge, it is either a b20 or an h22, prolly the b20 because its an easy swap and fits with a LOT less fabrication than a h22. And second, you will prolly lose anyway. The only real way to find out is at the strip. Numbers don't tell who is faster, time slips do!

I have played racing games in my RX7 turbo with both a 2001+ GTP and an 1997 Integra GSR, the one that was closer to me was the GTP and it had four people in it so I would say on that basis that the 3800 S/C engine in the lumina body (which happens to be 200lbs lighter than the GTP) with a single driver would knock the socks off of a modded up Honda civic any n/a B motor. :D

My friend has the SOHC Vtec motor. the one i totaly distroyed with my car at 1/2 throttle. 1997 civic coupe ex 5 speed with apexi exhaust. When we raced i had an K&N and he was 100% stock. He wont race again because one, he knows he doesnt have a chance, and two, he isnt about the power, he just wants the ricer looks.

first off, there is no b22 motor to my knowledge, it is either a b20 or an h22, prolly the b20 because its an easy swap and fits with a LOT less fabrication than a h22. And second, you will prolly lose anyway. The only real way to find out is at the strip. Numbers don't tell who is faster, time slips do!

I wouldnt be to sure about that...I know over 5 all motor b series civics in town that run low 13's...Even i have to watch out for them.

i bet a 5speed LQ1 5-speed would make those civic B16-b20 h22etc. whatever cry. 8)

here is something those honda guys havent thought of.

what happens when the wheel falls off or blows during a run? then what.. lol. your in a little box 5 foot by 6 with practicly nothing between you and the guard rail assuming you dont fly in that lightweight econobox.

i would rather be in a w-body then a honda in any type of accedent. PERIOD..

have you ever watched on speed tv the import races at the track.. a good number of those 4bangers blowup at the line befor they go anywhere! funny shit... thei best runs consist of a mid - high 8sec and thats "no" honda!

Hey pblunt_

Have you ever thought about swapping a 3.4 DOHC for your 3.1L?

Granted the 3.8 S/C Series II is the big thing on the market now, but the 3.4 DOHC was made for your car/engine bay, and would be a hell of alot easier swap than the 3.8L. Just something to think about. I'm really considering the 3.4 DOHC or maybe the 3.1 Turbo'd for my Lumina Euro once I get enuf $$ for it.

-bRad

but hey i'll take a 3.8 that i can put $1000 into and get 400hp out of it anyday...oh wait i'm buying one...muyahahahaha!!

What are you going to do to a 3.8 for $1000 that will make it 400hp???

Hey pblunt_

Have you ever thought about swapping a 3.4 DOHC for your 3.1L?

Granted the 3.8 S/C Series II is the big thing on the market now, but the 3.4 DOHC was made for your car/engine bay, and would be a hell of alot easier swap than the 3.8L. Just something to think about. I'm really considering the 3.4 DOHC or maybe the 3.1 Turbo'd for my Lumina Euro once I get enuf $$ for it.

-bRad

3.4 DOHC doesn't bring a signifant power jump in a 4 door sedan that's 3 tons. I am however thinking about the 3.4 in my Eurosport 3.1 that sounds kinda pimp. But the 4 door needs a bigger engine to make an actual difference in power. And I mostly likely willnot have the money until summer for the swap so by then I'll have time to get the engine and some mods. Or blow my money on dressing up the 2 Door Euro.

3.4 DOHC doesn't bring a signifant power jump in a 4 door sedan that's 3 tons. I am however thinking about the 3.4 in my Eurosport 3.1 that sounds kinda pimp. But the 4 door needs a bigger engine to make an actual difference in power. And I mostly likely willnot have the money until summer for the swap so by then I'll have time to get the engine and some mods. Or blow my money on dressing up the 2 Door Euro.

Just to let you know, a Lumina doesn't weigh 3 tons...

Shawn

Im sure he kinda knows that...but we do have some pretty heavy cars...it kinda pisses me off that those damn hondas can run low 13 second passes and only be throwing down around 200 horses at the wheels. :evil: :evil:

but hey i'll take a 3.8 that i can put $1000 into and get 400hp out of it anyday...oh wait i'm buying one...muyahahahaha!!

What are you going to do to a 3.8 for $1000 that will make it 400hp???

I was most likely exaggeratting at the time i posted...but oh well the plan was ram air, dual flowmasters, a smaller pulley on the supercharger and a new computer or chip or whatever a L67 has

i can get all that for around $600 thanks to a few connections

so how much power would you say i could squeeze out with that setup making a 3.8 run at the highest possuble PSI without compromising the engine life?