Spark plugs

iTurbo

I'm not trying to argue or anything, and I will never run platinums in my car. I was once at a Nissan show with my friend, and we were watching dyno runs for most of the day. There was a company there called IMS and the owner has a 419hp at the wheels Nissan SR20DET equipped 200SX. I mean this car was amazing!!! The guy was there helping out the dyno people and the people getting their cars dynoed. There was a Nissan 240 with a RWD SR20DET and he was getting a bad weak spot in his dyno graphs. The owner of IMS said that he had seen this before and it was the plugs he was using, and that he some platinum plugs that he suggests that the guy use. So, the guy bought four plugs that were $16 at piece :shock: . They put them in and pulled another run on the dyno and the dead spot was gone, and he gained 19 horsepower over his previous 2 runs which were virtually identical. This goes against everything I've ever heard of turbo cars and platinum plugs, but he definitely said platinum. Isn't that weird :?

Actually, I run plain ass champion spark plugs most of the time in my turbo dodge cars. Sometimes I get the equivalent AC Delco plug.

It's also widely know in the turbododge crowd that platinum plugs are very bad for turbocharged cars. Apparently the platinum tip breaks down under extreme temperatures. I'd hate to think of what that could do to a turbine wheel.

That is strange to hear that about Platinum plugs. I am no expert by any means, but I always ran Platinum plugs in my 87 Turbo Sunbird and that thing had 12 lbs of boost to it all the time. The compression ration was not what the TGP is, but they worked great in the Sunbird... 8)

thats what i was told was that double plattinum was the way to go. guys at checker, napa, my friend who has a 1992 thunderbird supercoupe, and another friend who had built a twin turbo mustang also went with platinum.

Thats odd.

Apparently the platinum tips of the platinum plugs can break off with high cylinder pressures commonly found in forced induction cars. Everywhere I've read/see says NO to platinum in forced induction cars. Even Jeff M sez no to platinum in the TGP.

Who knows though, I could be wrong. Maybe those other guys know something I don't. It might depend on the situation too...like that Nissan car at the dyno.

Jason