Wild Idea...

1badtgp

Ok, my 88 GP SE has 201,000 on it right now, so I'm sure the motor will be going soon(2.8 ). Here's what I'm thinking..

the car is in really good shape, and would be worth doing something with. I have 2 3800's, motor and trans, and the wiring and ECM from each. One is a series II, the other is a series I. Anyhow, what would it take to drop that puppy in the GP? Is it possible, or has it even been tried before? Let me know!!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

how in the hell do you just happen to have 2 3800's laying around, i would gladly take one off your hands for ya... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

- Justin

There was a salvage yard around the corner from me I used to use for alot of my business and personal stuff, and they were trying to clear everything out so the owner could retire. So I went over there with about $1000 and started buying stuff. I got a 403 in excellent running shape for $50, the 2 3800's with wiring and trans's for $200, a couple sbc's(350's), an olds 350, a couple of transmissions for w-bodies and Ford Tauruses($30 for 4 of them), and a bunch of other stuff. I had to take 2 trucks to bring it all home. And I even had the trunk of the Laser filled to boot!!

I love it when the jy's here start to close.

It's very possible. Most Regals after '91 used the 3800 Series I, and '96 Regal GS's used the 3800 Series II. It's a tight squeeze, but it's possible.

Suggestion: if you're gonna swap an engine in, use the Series II, and buy or fabricate as many performance parts as you can. It's a powerful and fun engine in a W-body, but since it's already out of it's car, build it up to be a reall speed machine. (read: 3.4 killer)

It don't take much to be a 3.4 killer. 95% of them run like shit including mine. My dads 3800 on the other hand has almost identical mileage to mine and runs like it just rolled off the showroom.

The one engine is going to get some minor tweaks and is going in the GP SE. The other one I'm still not sure about yet. I have a Fiero guy here I do a lot of work for that is considering the swap, otherwise I was thinking of converting it to Turbo, and dropping it in the TGP. A fully built Turbo'd 3800 in a TGP. Now THAT'S how it HSOULD have been done!

I looked at the tag from the junkyard(still on the engine) and it says Buick 403. Could just be because it was pulled from a Buick, so who knows.

I always thought Olds made the only 403, but hey... I only build sport compacts anyhow...

As far as doing the built turbo'd 3800, I am pretty sure I will. but I don't know what trans to back it with. I'm still thinking 5-speed swap, but I'm not sure. The car will still be a daily driver for the most part, so I would like to keep it an auto, but I want about 390-425whp.

i have also done it in my car. the motor bolts up to the subframe. but the wiring is a bitch. be ready for allot of long nights and allot of trial and error. you will need wiring diagrams for both your car and the doner car that the engine came from.

if you are going to do it don't bother with the series 1. much more after market for the series II. do as much as you can to the motor before installing it it will make your life much easier. ex: new plugs, new wires, new water pump, belts, ect... its out and is much easier to do when you don't have to hang over a car to work on it. it is a big project so expect it to take time and don't rush it.

you will also need a downpipe. i can build you one that will fit if you let me know.

Shane

Thanks redmonte! Actually, my shop does a lot of hybrid swaps, and JDM engine swaps, so wiring is nothing new to me at all. My biggest concern was how it would bolt in. I'm probably going to pt the series 1 I have in the 88 SE, due to the fact that it doesnt need to be a power house, and will remain basically stock. The series II I have will get modded for the TGP, unless I change my mind and do something wilder. I probably wont though due to not wanting to ruin the car. To rare. I'll be rebuilding both engines before they go in, so the rest of the stuff is going to get done as well.