Placement of Jack and Jack Stands

92luminaCoupe

Hello all, I am new to the forums but I have owned this car for a long time! I am looking to do brakes all the way around on my 1992 Lumina Euro Coupe, the issue I am having is trying to understand where to place jack stands under the rear "axle" of the car. Every previous vehicle I have done brakes on has been RWD so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at under the rear of this FWD. Unfortunately I live in the rust belt and this car has seen better days at the trailing arms mounts and pinchwelds. Could someone please help me with placement of jack and jack stands under the rear of the car. 

• Like 1

Check out Jiggity76's post in this thread. I also use the front engine cradle, and the rear lift point to jack it up (center of the vehicle in the rear under the monoleaf). Then jack stands on the engine cradle, and depending on rust issues, either the factory pinch welds or the trailing arm mounts. A manual should have detailed information where to jack up the vehicle from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 92luminaCoupe said:

Hello all, I am new to the forums but I have owned this car for a long time! I am looking to do brakes all the way around on my 1992 Lumina Euro Coupe, the issue I am having is trying to understand where to place jack stands under the rear "axle" of the car. Every previous vehicle I have done brakes on has been RWD so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at under the rear of this FWD. Unfortunately I live in the rust belt and this car has seen better days at the trailing arms mounts and pinchwelds. Could someone please help me with placement of jack and jack stands under the rear of the car. 

Maybe this will make it more clear.

In these pics, you can see the lift pad and where I have the floor jack, (mine is painted black), positioned to lift up the back of the car.  It's basically a formed piece of metal that is designed to be the lift point on the rear axle.  As always, you MUST only use the floor jack to lift the car...NOT support it.  Please use jack stands or another safe method of supporting the car once it's up off the ground.  Jacks are NOT designed to support a vehicle on their own and can fail.  Safety is always a priority when working under a car.  Please ask for help before you get under your car if you're unsure about anything.  Everyone here wants to make sure you're going to be safe!

1193870183_20191104_1224521.jpg.2e80a6eb6b0932bb4f4d6e4d6fd443f6.jpg1946201228_20191104_1225431.jpg.aa012570553d061b236a472139265f08.jpg

Edited by jiggity76
  • Thanks 1

Trailing arm mount is a good point for the stands.  The owner's manual will tell you points that are weak and dangerous when the car has spent years in the rust belt.  In my experience, I've continued to drive a Lumina once the jack point (midway between the wheels under the monoleaf) has been compromised from rust.  Though, once, the trailing arm mount goes through the floor, I've opted to part out and discard the vehicle.

• Like 1