wanna make your car sound cool?

90lumina3.1

my cat is busted, this i know... it glows red hot out the back, and rattles when i hit it with a hammer... it seems to be blocked as well, and i need a solution thats fairly non-invasive, and will last at least 5 days without getting me pulled over. any ideas? i tried hitting it with a rubber hammer, and lead hammer, and neither works.

UPDATE!: i emptied out the cat, and when i went to bolt it back on(not really bolt on, just 2 pieces of pipe and 4 clamps), i found out i used the wrong clamps on the back, and now it sounds like a 454 with straight pipes, cause of all the leaking!

If you buy a new cat, get the cheap universal one that is smaller. Look through it, and if you can see light, then that is the one. It should be half the size of your original cat. Have that on put on (I recommend welding, but you can clamp it if you must :D ) and pipe to extend it to the rest of the exhaust, then after about 2 to 3 days of driving, your car will get REALLY LOUD. I did that to my Cutlass, and I was SHOCKED at how loud it got.

Taylor

you can unbolt your flange and using a metal pipe nock the sh*t out of it. (not legal).

Or you can do it the correct way and buy a carsound cat off of me. 2.5" in/out for $85US shipped.

Shane

What model Carsound do you sell, Shane?

9400 series. thoes are the high flowing ones that work with our cars. I was thinking of checking into the 9410 series becasue they are the same just shorter.. that way it would have less restriction but i dunno if that will cause a problem with emmisions.

RedZ

Aww hell, out here in Tennesse we don't have any emission laws/inspections, so I gutted out my cat :twisted: and now I'm about to convert to staightpipes with no resonator or cat, TRUE dual exhaust, and possibly new mufflers. Anyone know if no back pressure will cause anything bad/hurt horspower on the 3.4L?

Aww hell, out here in Tennesse we don't have any emission laws/inspections, so I gutted out my cat :twisted: and now I'm about to convert to staightpipes with no resonator or cat, TRUE dual exhaust, and possibly new mufflers. Anyone know if no back pressure will cause anything bad/hurt horspower on the 3.4L?

how are you going to get true duals? And dont tell me, cause I KNOW what true ones are, so I hope you're mentioning headers...

By true duals, I mean dual pipes running from where the Y-Pipe usually is in front of the catalytic converter to the mufflers. I'd like to find some aftermarket headers, but no one will sell/make them to my knowledge. My plan is to cut the two pipes right in front of the Y-Pipe, weld two pipes side-by-side running where the factory mounts are, and hang a pair of low-restriction mufflers where the factory mufflers are. No catalytic converter, no resonator, and it should be sounding pretty good after that.

No back pressure=no low end torque. I drove for about 1/3 of a mile with just my downpipe and cat.. i toped out at 35mph. couple guys have gutted their cats and ran exhasut and seemed to gain but you don't want to drop your backpressure to much.

RedZ

By true duals, I mean dual pipes running from where the Y-Pipe usually is in front of the catalytic converter to the mufflers. I'd like to find some aftermarket headers, but no one will sell/make them to my knowledge. My plan is to cut the two pipes right in front of the Y-Pipe, weld two pipes side-by-side running where the factory mounts are, and hang a pair of low-restriction mufflers where the factory mufflers are. No catalytic converter, no resonator, and it should be sounding pretty good after that.

True dual will not gain you much if anything over a properly designed exhaut. I am looking into custom headers for my L67 Lumina. i thought about doing a DOHC pair as well. I have the resources to get them made but i am short in the cash flow department. :(

they would be equil lenth "Shorty Style" headers, mandrel crossover and collect near the stock location.

RedZ

<bursting the bubble

I'd hate to say it but if you can find a store that sell a Catalyst for the car and its the small type and you can see though it, its all the same. They even cost as much so its not that they are cheap. JUST DON'T BUY THE ONES THAT USE THE PELLETS!!! Not that they make those anymore thank god, those were the ones that were really the restrictive type, the monolithic type is really nothing to write home about as far as reisitance to flow is concerened. Esspecially those new smaller ones, they make them very free flowing and can still pass emmsions. In fact the GM isn't too bad its just big, acts as a resonator of some sorts. Maremont/Arvin, and Walker are the OEMs so they are probably the ones making all the shit.

Ok, I think I've got a new plan now. Cut the pipe right before the catalytic converter (mainly because there's a leak in the pipe right there anyways), run new piping all the way back in the factory locations, keep the y-pipe at the end, weld new mufflers onto the end of the pipes. Pretty much the factory piping, just no cat and no resonator. I gutted the cat already, and I did gain some low-end torque... my best guess is that the cat was really clogged up, its a rather noticable improvement. What I'm really trying to do now is to get a better sound out of the exhaust, and all of the new piping/mufflers should get me there.

I think the stock pipe setup on your car is plenty good enough, and it's stainless...

The factory piping isn't loud enough for me, sounds too whiny and it's got a hole or two in it. I don't think that just changing out mufflers would get the type of sound that I need, and even then I'd still have an exhaust leak somewhere. I can replace all of the piping for really cheap, that's why I'm aiming to do so.

get rid of the 3.4L resonator (near the pass side door, but I think the 3.4 will require it to reduce all the raspiness), get a new catalyst (one of the smaller replacement ones) and pair of flowmaster 40 series, you will have more sound than you can deal with. You getting a good deal on replacement pipes? Where are the holes on the stock one?

The hole looks like it was busted into it, happened before I bought it. The catalytic converter is missing a bolt out of it, half of the bolt is still threaded into the downpipe, with the rest of it broken off. I'd just rather replace the whole thing and not worry about it. I work at an auto repair shop, and can get pretty much anything automotive for cheap.

Brian, you said that the 3.4L needs the resonator to reduce the raspiness of the exhaust. Supposing I weld every hole shut, keep the resonator, and just weld new mufflers on replacing the factory ones, will the sound of the car really be that much different? I was a little bit under the impression that the resonator would take too much out of the sound of the exhaust, but seeing as how I've never heard a 3.4L with a custom exhaust, I'm not exactly sure. Just trying to get a good idea of what I'm doing and what it'll sound like.

And as far as the standard V6 goes, 2 1/4 is enough.

Most of the W-body downpipes are 2.5". so i would get a 2.5" cat. as for brand I say nothing other then Carsound/Magnaflow. 94006 is the model you want for your car. that is a 2.5" in/out w/ no air tube and your car will pass emmisions with flying colors (if you have emmisions).

RedZ

Im currious about sound too. I have a Cutlass with the 3100. I was planning on just taking out the stock muffler and put in a summit turbo muffler. Would there be much of a sound difference with keeping the resonator?

Im not looking for fart can loud...but a low rumble. Like only loud when you get on it, but when idling, its really deep.

My moms Lumina Euro she bought new sounded much louder than mine. I loved the tone it had...ive never heard a car sound liket hat before. Imagine what the stock sound is, but amplified

jon

I would run the stock DP, add a carsound cat, 2.5" resonator and my 2.25" catback midpipe kit. then your choise of mufflers (Preferably not flowmasters).. I hate to see people use horrible mufflers like thoes (horrible on our cars atleast). I personally have heard and think they are the best on the market:

* Borla

* Magnaflow

* Dynomax Ultraflow

they are all stainless and straight threw. no chambers nothing.. With a DOHC a Resaontor to say the least is a must.

If your interested in a pic of my pipe kit E-mail me:

RedZMonte@hotmail.com

RedZ