Good tires to get?

rmac24vdohc

Anybody have a recommendation for a good all around tire to buy for a 94 cutlass convertible? I think I want to install 245/50R16s since that is the other size recommentation in my manual. I want to get something that rides well with good wear properties and all weather capabilities. Just looking for some advice.

Thanks

Mac

1994 Olds Cutlass Conv 3.4DOHC

2001 GP GTP

I have a set of Goodyear Regattas now on my car. They are a touring tire. The have the ride and smoothness of a passenger tire....but also have performace tire charateristics. These came on the car....so I am not to sure about the price. I havent had any problems with them....and are quite quiet. Great in all types of weather (well...havent tried snow yet).

Jon

I have Pep Boys brand Futura tires on my TGP in 245/50/16 size. They are R-Rated all weather tires. Got them for about $100 each.

I've had them for about a year now. Drove on dry and wet roads. The grip is pretty good on dry weather, no Z-Rated tires, but not bad for all weather. Wet grip is really nice, especially at interstate speeds. The wear is pretty decent, no problems so far. I don't have much, if any sounds coming from the tires when I drive. Of course my exhaust and stereo probably drown them out 8)

They aren't bad tires for what you pay for. Just DO NOT HAVE THEM INSTALLED AT PEP BOYS!

imho i think no tire really makes a diference in the snow if u just toally suck at driving in the snow. unless ur dirving around with slicks or tires balder than an 89 yr olds head i dont think youll be noticing too much of any diff at all between tires in the snow. the only tires i would say i prefer in the snow are the actual snow tires. yanno those really knobby ones that just look like flatten widened dirt bike tires. those help a lot to me. may dad gets them put on for the winter then taken off after winter cuz they wear down so fast

I had some Goodyear Regettas on the Lumina when I bought it.. I didn't like em all that much. Spun real easily, handled poorly, and didn't do all that good in snow. They lasted a while though.. so I guess that's a plus.

I wish I could find the tires they were on the rims I bought from MikeWZ34 a long while ago.. those were some DAMN good tires. But I looked everywhere for them.. couldn't find them at all. :(

While I havent had poor handling with the Regattas (very aggressive drivin) I do argee that they spin easily. Sometimes in rain the thing does nothign but spin, and thats not even gunning it. Just lightly taping the gas.

jon

i used to be a tire guy at a Penske auto center and i would recc the goodyear Integrity if they still make it. Great tire and not that pricy. But i'm unsure if they make em that wide. Other wise go with the Regattas we sold a lot of em but they are sortta $$$ Later Jay

I've had Nitto NT450's for the past few years and they worked great. Long life and tons of grip- even good in snow. They ran about $110 each. Now I'm waiting on Falken Ziex 512's.

Tim

I have nitto 555's and they are good griping but not in rainy weather. I love em but i bet they'd suck in the winter, right now i have goodyear "ultragrip ice" they are like superswampers! Later Jay

I use potenza's in the summer and michelin arctic alpins in the winter, that is the best winter tire there is, I've tried many different brands of winter tire, believe me the alpin is awesome, and available in weird sizes..

I use potenza's in the summer and michelin arctic alpins in the winter, that is the best winter tire there is, I've tried many different brands of winter tire, believe me the alpin is awesome, and available in weird sizes..

i used to be a tire guy at a Penske auto center and i would recc the goodyear Integrity if they still make it. Great tire and not that pricy. But i'm unsure if they make em that wide. Other wise go with the Regattas we sold a lot of em but they are sortta $$$ Later Jay

Thats were we got are Regattas at my mom works at K-Mart and got a discount on them but wet tracktion not that good and there not ment to be monted on 16.5" width rim only 16" width rim. Wear out quickly only had for 2 years. Handling not that great either.

I would say either dayton HR's or potenza's, there both a good Directional, I have had both on my cars, but I prefer dayton HR's because there allot better in the snow/shitty weather. I can get exact prices for ya that would be good @ any tires plus store nation wide (I currently work there). reply if you want them.....

I used to have the Goodyear Eagle HP's. You can do 65 on the interstate in an inch of snow and the car feels so stable. In the rain 75mph on the intersate and the car still felt great. Great weather tire. Dry handling was also very impressive, very sticky. Has a directional pattern that wore out very well, also relatively quiet. They run about $120 each. Sometimes $100 depending on where you buy them, sales, etc. The size I had was 225/60/16 H. I just recently picked up a set of BFGoodrich CompT/A HR4's, 225/55/16 H they run about the same price if not more being that it is a 55 series. Very Quiet, Very sharp handling, so far so good in the rain, but I don't think they were as good as the Goodyears in wet weather but still I can make time with the BFG's. The 55 series profile really threw up alot of road feel. Fuel economy is very good with both. Nice quality lasting tires I'll say...

If you're not rich but want a great looking/performing tire....Dayton Datonas', the newer tread design.

If you want worthless crap....Michelin Symetry. Your car will go straight whenyou turn in slush. Hard Rubber. Baleen whale style tread.

Oh yeah, I've got a couple to sell to a sucker. 225/60/16

if you want, look on tirerack.com or tires.com I got a set of fire hawk sz 50's for about 80 bucks a piece. Granted everyone is afraid to buy firestone tires because of the whole ford explorer thing, but i have had no problems and they grip like hell. These are on my z28 and it does get driven pretty hard at times. :)

Nothing wrong with firestone imo, GM has quite a few vehicles with factory firestones, I remember getting a notice at work saying that the tires made for GM were made at a different plant...

I like my Goodyear RS-A's. V rated. I also have Goodyear AltraGrip V rated snow tires. Those are the best tires I have ever had. I use them even in the summer!

RS-A is a good tire but the other ones, round here we call them UltraSlips because they suck.