Odd question.....

Jeorge

okay I know I dont drive my car in the winter anymore but if I did I hated when the wipers got Iced up.....

what I was wondering is...I have see kits for Rear window defrost and I was wondering if you got a kit say 3"-4"wide and put it on the bottom inside of the windshelf would it heat the wipes up enough to get the snow/ice off of them?? I noticed this most of the time when it was snowing? and when you have the wipers on intermitant they stick up alittle to where this would sit..............think it would work???

hmm just wondering what you guys thought

I live in a really crappy winter location, we've got a foot of snow on the ground right now. What I have done is bought a roll of wiper wash hose and spliced it into the feed to the wipers, I have wrapped the excess tightly around the rad hose in a coil type fashion , so in winter I have hot wash to keep the blades clean, good on bugs in the summer too..

I'll see what I can do for ya. I don't have a pic or a scanner but I have film and acces to one, may take a while. I actually got this tip from a friend who was a technician in Iqualuit in the arctic.

cool thanks....if you wanted to take the pics I could get the developed and put on a CD, so if you wanted pics of your car and what not....for the web...take alook at my site sometime if you havent already click on the WWW at the bottom

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that the bodyshop at work has a digital camera. I could take the pic's and email them to myself and then send them to you, Would that work?

Yeah they are accutaly heat extractors and they cool it down alot if a Turbo engine didnt have it I think it would over heat Really easy in the winter you can see the heat cloud come out of there and in the summer when you go puddle hooping you see the steam....

the big ones like the ones I have are on the 89-90 TGP 90 STE and the 91-93 GTP they have smaller ones on the newer GTP's

newer ones are about half the size..... on the 94-96 GTP's

Guest Anonymous

If you ask for TGP louvers they'll tell you they're unavailable. Then ask them if they can get them for a GTP. Stupid dealers don't even realize the part #'s are the same. If you can get them let me know how much new ones are. I may need some come spring.

Believe me, the parts dept where I work is far from stupid. we can search all the main GM destributors and also check any dealers inventory in all of North America. If the part exists anywhere I'll find it. If it does not exist I guess there's not much we can do. I have found discontinued items before in other dealers stock. Sometimes you need a bit of luck as well.

As to the question with the defroster grid, I have noticed that a lot of chryslers minivans have something similar to that on them. I think that it is mostly for keeping the window from fogging, but I assume it would work. Just keep in mind that the lines break real easy, and that they do not heat up real quick.

Im going to go with the hose Idea...

and if you can get Louvers let me know I need a set.....maybe we could get a Bulk order going for you LOL.........BTY just email me the Pics at Jeorge@citlink.net and then I will forward them to my work and will post on the site for everyone to see how.....if you put a little word on what your did I will post also include how you want to be refered to as for credit.

I live in a really crappy winter location, we've got a foot of snow on the ground right now. What I have done is bought a roll of wiper wash hose and spliced it into the feed to the wipers, I have wrapped the excess tightly around the rad hose in a coil type fashion , so in winter I have hot wash to keep the blades clean, good on bugs in the summer too..

That's a pretty cool idea! I'm surprised no automakers have thought of it.

One thing I've always thought the W-bodies need are heating elements in the cowl plate. In winter, the wipers get frozen to the cowl and sometimes with so much ice and snow that it takes forever to even dig 'em out. I've had 2 wiper motor assembles get bent internally to where they would no longer park correctly, thanks to the ice.

I guess that's why most newer cars no longer have the recessed wipers.

the hood louvers for the older tgp (larger) should be available through gm vintage parts(dealer) the smaller ones on 94+ are a lot easier to get. both are discontinued items, but there is still plenty of stock left around nort america. the larger ones are very expensive, the smaller a lot cheaper