5.25" Component Speaker Install Pictures!

LukeZ34

Got my set of JBL GTO 5.2C Component speakers installed in to the doors of the TGP this evening. The install went really smooth, and the end result looks, and sounds 100X better than the former 4x6 speakers that were there.

Check out the pictures of the install process here!

http://lukez34.com/galleries/tgp/doorspeakers/index.htm

Congrats on the install! Are the factory speakers mounted directly to the door panels? For some reason, I was thinking they mounted directly to the door frame. I was just wondering why you mounted them to the panel instead of the frame.

Sorry to hear about the job. :(

I wish I had taken pictures of the factory speaker setup..

But yes, they do mount to the door frame by a plastic enclosure. If you look at the picture on my site of the old 4x6, you can see it's still attached to that enclosure.

Installing the woofer in to the door panel was the only easy way to do the install since there is no precut factory mounting for the 5.25" woofer.

I may be selling them soon since I just lost my job today.. :evil:

Oh man that sucks! I wonder if the car is cursed or something. If you need help...drop me a line. Might buy her back from you! 8)

Very nice install.

I've in the midst of replacing my interior and have been debating on whether or not I should just cover up the 4x6 openings in the dash and going with door or kicker panel installation.

Are you getting good sound from the doors? Or do you think going with the kick panels would be better?

I know this is off topic, but howd u get the door interior thingy off?

I need to take it off to fix my damn keyhole thing.

I removed screws, but its still on there pretty tight? am i missing anything?

Also, awesome job on the speakers looking good.

Sorry about the job

John

About the 4x6's in the dash.. To be honest with you, I never have them turned on. The imaging is horrible in that location, and it sounds terrible, so they stay off.

Kick Panels would be the ultimate way to go, but, the drivers side would be a problem. The parking brake would be in the way when I try to set it, and since it likes to release itself sometimes, it takes quite a lot of force to get it to lock at times. There's just too much foot movement down there for me to install kick panels. The drivers side would be destroyed in a few months time.

The door panels have tremendous sound though. I never thought the imaging would be as good as it is with the tweeters in the sail panels, but it really is. The midbass and mids are now present, most of which I was lacking with the 4x6's.

how did you remove that speaker cover from the door panel and then get it back on? its just connected with plasitc. the wood was a good idea since you do not have the cutouts in the door for the speakers....which also confuses me. you said you had 4x6's up front, so did ur car not come with stock 5.25s in the door? and no brown cover?..again confused.

also i am very AGAINST kick panels. i think they are the worst possible location to place speakers in a car if you want them to function longer than 2 days. where are you supposed to put your feet? even if you had grills covering them that can withstand someone standing on them, they would still be useless because dirt would get in there from peoples shoes and ruin the speakers. i dont understand it

how did you remove that speaker cover from the door panel and then get it back on? its just connected with plasitc. the wood was a good idea since you do not have the cutouts in the door for the speakers....which also confuses me. you said you had 4x6's up front, so did ur car not come with stock 5.25s in the door? and no brown cover?..again confused.

The speaker pods came off the door panel by removing several little plastic threaded nuts. I don't know exactly what they were called, but they were a royal pain in the ass to get off, and a few of them broke off.

The stock door speaker size for the 88-96 Grand Prix's (excluding STE's)is 4x6's. There is NO cutout in the door frame at all for any speaker which explains why the plastic enclosure is used to mount the stock 4x6's TO the door frame itself. THis enclosure puts the speaker out about 3 inches from the door frame, and fits directly in to the cutout in the door panel inside the speaker pods. The brown cover (speaker pod) was there already.

Does that clear things up any?

yes.....you should have just ripped 94+door and door panels off and put them on ur car, then everything would have went textbook....except um parts of the doorpanel dont match up to the 93- dash...ehhh nevermind :x

quick :?:

thos speaker enclosures... they come factory, correct??? would they work in a 4 door. The opening in the door looks about the same - they look like they would fit... im gonna have to track me down a set of them...

oh, mad props on the install too... i personally wouldnt have used oak as a baffle setup, but hey, different strokes for different folks... i would have used MDF (GLIT = Glue and Shit) but strong and goood sound resonence charectoristics.

- Justin