What can I swap into my '89 Grand Prix MEGATHREAD

1989 Pontiac Se

Thanks alot. Im on a oretty tight budget. I really want to see this thing run im jusy excited that you can swap motors in this car

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

The car is over heating. Had water in The oil and radiator was blowing water out i pull sparks out new ones in and it fired up. I boughy this car out of a barn two months ago and im just trying to find the real problem.

Huh? I'm not sure where you're getting your information at but it might be good if you read through this forum a lot.

Much recommended.

If you want to find out the real problem, you have to start by doing a compression test. An educated guess would be that your head gasket is gone, and if you're mechanically inclined, wouldn't be too hard to do on an MPFI. Now the thing is that in order to make sure it's not a piston ring or valve seal, you're going to have to also do a leakdown test when you do the compression test. That would give you a better idea to what's going on. I know someone stated you might need a new head but if you can salvage the engine, it would be the cheapest option. 

• Like 2

Water in the oil, probably nothing wrong with the bottom end. A quick inspection of the plugs should tell which cylinder. From there you can remove it and determine if the gasket looks like shit. Like Nas said a compression test may tell which cylinder too.

Edited by Imp558

Real nice! I like the grey color combo, love the grey matching alloys!

Thanks man i fell in love with it too. I Plan On re spraying it. Just wanna get it going first.

Water in the oil, probably nothing wrong with the bottom end. A quick inspection of the plugs should tell which cylinder. From there you can remove it and determine if the gasket looks like shit. Like Nas said a compression test may tell which cylinder too.

Cylinder 4 was wet all other sparks were dry and showed normal spark.

Cylinder 4 was wet all other sparks were dry and showed normal spark.

Shit! Head gasket or cracked head. If it was mine I would yank the head and run it to a machine shop for evaluating, they can surface it and do a valve job if it's good. if it's bad I'd grab another one from a wrecking yard the same size in the interest of getting the car moving. I know you want to upgrade but you'd really be better off enjoying the car and slowly putting together a really nice swap for later on.

• Like 2

Got ya. Im pulling the heads as we speak. But what if i just pull another motor? Would that be a cheaper route? Ive had people charge me 2800 for a valve job. And 700 just to diagnose.

could end up at about the same price. but I would expect a machine shop to be around $100 to do a head maybe $200 at the most. I've got a place up here that does a set for 200. then you have to figure gaskets which aren't very cheap

Edited by Imp558

could end up at about the same price. but I would expect a machine shop to be around $100 to do a head maybe $200 at the most. I've got a place up here that does a set for 200. then you have to figure gaskets which aren't very cheap

That sounds like a good price to me i would have had this car running a long time ago i just have to find a machine shop down here i. Houston

Okay so crazy thing i just found a shop to do both heads for 160. Im about to see what happens.

Hell even if they aren't warped it's worth knowing they're fresh, that's a good price. You've got me beat by $40 and the owner of my machine shop is a friend of mine. Rockauto can probably save you some money on gaskets just watch the name brands

• Like 1

Hell even if they aren't warped it's worth knowing they're fresh, that's a good price. You've got me beat by $40 and the owner of my machine shop is a friend of mine. Rockauto can probably save you some money on gaskets just watch the name brands

Yeah I Learned My Lesson Already. Is Fel Pro good Ive Been Seeing That Brand Alot. I know they sale them at my job Autozone they have all kind of gaskets.

Fel-Pro is usually a good bet. Maybe one of the 60* guys will chime in with a recommendation. Was there any evidence of a failed gasket? it should be visible if it was bad, especially now that you know which cylinder it is.

I knew the intake gaskets were crusted so im guess the heads gasket are the same case i mean it was bad.

It might be a good idea to tell the machine shop which cylinder had a leak so they can inspect it. Otherwise they may charge you to rework a cracked head, it was likely just a gasket though.

Edited by Imp558

I can just get the gaskets from rock auto $40 bucks

Rockauto can probably save you some money on gaskets just watch the name brands

I guess I missed when you posted that.

• Like 1

Felpro is a decent brand. Actually they were the ones selling the "upgraded" gasket for the 3800 and 3x00 motors. I would recommend them. I've used them before with great results.

• Like 1

Thanks my customer prefer it as well the intake gasket kit it only 8 dollars and the head gasket kit is 15 bucks so $38 plus shippin isn't bad.