97 Cutlass starts but wont stay running

GrandRegal

Hi guys,

I have a 97 cutlass supreme 3100 that cranks and starts but will not run for more than 10 seconds. The car starts up, idles high around 2k and drops off until it stalls quickly. The problem started a couple days ago when I was testing fuel pressure, to address a slight misfire, and a decent amount spilled out of the valve on the fuel rail and went on top of the cam sensor and leaked down to the 24x crank sensor. I replaced the cam sensor thinking that would solve the problem but it remains exactly the same. My understanding is the car should run but just poorly if it was the cam or 24x sensor. There are no other sensors in the area and the car ran ok before this. Could it be a problem with the pcm? If anybody has any ideas of what I should look into it would be appreciated.

- John

Edited by GrandRegal

Check your connections, disconnect neg. battery cable first. I`d also hook a scan tool up to it to see what codes come up.

Did you have correct fuel pressure?

Thanks for the reply Rich,

Fuel pressure was correct and I disconnected the battery terminals. I cant even get it running long enough to get to autozone to check codes but I have someone coming by later with a reader. Would gas getting in the sensor cause it to act like this?

Sensor connections should be sealed with silicone rubber. It's unlikely that ordinary splash would cause a sensor malfunction.

I'd be looking at the IAC if the idle speed is 2K and dropping to the point of engine stall.

A scan tool is a great starting point.

Sensor connections should be sealed with silicone rubber. It's unlikely that ordinary splash would cause a sensor malfunction.

I'd be looking at the IAC if the idle speed is 2K and dropping to the point of engine stall.

A scan tool is a great starting point.

Yes I agree with checking the idle air control. Can always take it out, and see how dirty/carbon the pintle is. If it's really dirty, can clean it up with carb cleaner.

On my 92 Cutlass any time the battery is unplugged the idle has to be relearned. When I first crank it up after the battery has been disconnected, it will idle high, and then immediately die. Second crank it will stay running. Suppose to take seven minutes of run time on my car for the idle to be relearned, which has not been true because it can take up to two days so far for the idle to get right.

• 2 weeks later...

Unplugging the IAC while it's running should make it idle high enough to stay running. IIRC when I unplugged the IAC on my Cutlass while it was running the car idled at 2k RPM steady. Does it only start and stall when it's warmed up or even when it's cold?