GTP engine problems

GTPer

I'm kind of a noob but the flex plate is bolted on to the transmission not the engine right? Cuz if it is I'll have the mechanic check it. Thanks.

Flexplate is bolted to the engine, not the trans. The torque converter goes on the trans. In a nutshell, the flexplate moves the transmission's torque converter to make the car move.

Yeah he's going to try and get the original engine back and just rip it open see what went bad. I meant the supercharger in the l32 is an eaton gen 5 m90 and the one in the l67 is a gen 3 m90 and the gen v was bigger correct? You got an l26? So your saying either the series 3 n/a or series 3 supercharged block will work?

If it's not already crushed and becoming a new Toyota. LOL

Ahh ok, I misunderstood. The supercharger on the S3 is completely different from the S2 one, mostly because of the throttle body change, or so I'm told.

Yup, I have an L26 block, but in a 2002 Camaro. Still the same idea though, only thing is you could get away with leaving more stuff on from the donor engine than I could.

The L26 and L32 are different, IIRC the heads are different. The L32 has a higher compression ratio than the L26, so you have to get an L32 to replace the L67. All I was talking about was my car, which is Naturally aspirated but the thing has been done on both. You can always go on the 3800pro forum or fullthrottlev6 if you want to ask these questions to make sure that it will work, or what has to swap... you can also search 3800 s2 supercharged to 3800 s3 supercharged on google.

The flexplate in the Monte was cracked one time...sounded an awful lot like a rod knock except it was only at startup and some other random times.

If the mechanic replaced 4 engines, switched the flexplate every time, and still did not realize it was broken, then this car must be in a lot worse shape than it started.

The L32 has a higher compression ratio than the L26.

Lower, to accommodate boost. So sorry to correct, Nas.

The last engine he pulled I think had a hole in the block. I would put oil and it all just poured out on startup. Literally all the oil in a couple of seconds. And now the third engine he said it started up just fine but started knocking after a while.

I hope it didn't have a hole in the block, I wouldn't really trust that mechanic anymore if he goes to pull a new engine and can't see a hole in it

I hope it didn't have a hole in the block, I wouldn't really trust that mechanic anymore if he goes to pull a new engine and can't see a hole in it

Keep in mind though that engine was the one that lasted a week. So I don't think my mechanic put the engine in with a hole already. I never asked him if it really did have a hole in the block or not.

If the mechanic replaced 4 engines, switched the flexplate every time, and still did not realize it was broken, then this car must be in a lot worse shape than it started.

Lower, to accommodate boost. So sorry to correct, Nas.

I know this is gonna derail the thread but since it's always good to have the information out... I thought the L32 had higher compression and that's why it required premium fuel. I thought that was the whole ordeal about premium in any car, that when compression is high, you need to use premium otherwise it knocks... Since I remember people telling me not to use regular fuel in a Mercedes Benz because of its high compression...

Or are we talking the block has lower compression and the boost makes up for that which gives it a higher compression...

L32/l67 has lower compression to accommodate boost safer. When you topswap a l26 or l36, you runner higher compression and have to make sure you watch kr. I run a top swapped l26 with l67heads and a Gen v sc with supporting mods to do so like headers and a tune....premium fuel fights kr so that is why it is needed in a boosted motor.

Keep in mind though that engine was the one that lasted a week. So I don't think my mechanic put the engine in with a hole already. I never asked him if it really did have a hole in the block or not.

Ahh that makes sense. I hoped that was the case and it wasn't pouring out oil from the beginning.

I know this is gonna derail the thread but since it's always good to have the information out... I thought the L32 had higher compression and that's why it required premium fuel. I thought that was the whole ordeal about premium in any car, that when compression is high, you need to use premium otherwise it knocks... Since I remember people telling me not to use regular fuel in a Mercedes Benz because of its high compression...

Or are we talking the block has lower compression and the boost makes up for that which gives it a higher compression...

The actual comp ratio is lower on the L32/L67, like tsilney said. The effective compression when the boost and all of its heat is included requires the higher octane. High comp ratios without boost can be so high that they need high octane gas (like in those German cars you speak of).

In conclusion, for this thread, an L32 is still the engine to get if an S3 is desired, just like Nas said.

Edited by vipmiller803