Jump Starter or Jump Pack to Power Car

DesertEagle50

Hi,

Can a GM from 1995 to 1998 be powered with a jump starter attached in place of the battery? If so, does anyone know a model name or certain specs to look for to jump start a 3.1 with a completely dead battery?

I have a jump starter that I believed is good. A DMM reads 13+ volts between the clamps. However, I hooked it up to a 1995 Lumina and a 1998 Buick Century (also with the GM 3.1) in place of the battery and the cabin dome light wouldn't even come on. Is there something with the ECU/PCM that requires a battery to be installed? From doing a parasitic drain test, I know that when the Lumina is hooked up to a battery it will draw .01 to .1 amps for a few seconds, then .25 amps for a few seconds, then .001 amps thereafter. I didn't know if the ECU was performing a test of the battery at this time.

I don't want to mistakenly throw out a good jump starter but it appears to have a very limited capacity.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

Can a GM from 1995 to 1998 be powered with a jump starter attached in place of the battery? If so, does anyone know a model name or certain specs to look for to jump start a 3.1 with a completely dead battery?

I have a jump starter that I believed is good. A DMM reads 13+ volts between the clamps. However, I hooked it up to a 1995 Lumina and a 1998 Buick Century (also with the GM 3.1) in place of the battery and the cabin dome light wouldn't even come on. Is there something with the ECU/PCM that requires a battery to be installed? From doing a parasitic drain test, I know that when the Lumina is hooked up to a battery it will draw .01 to .1 amps for a few seconds, then .25 amps for a few seconds, then .001 amps thereafter. I didn't know if the ECU was performing a test of the battery at this time.

I don't want to mistakenly throw out a good jump starter but it appears to have a very limited capacity.

Thanks,

Dave

Sounds like the battery is likely shot. A battery can have the right voltage but have shit for amperage capacity left in it. You might be able to take it apart and source a replacement battery, but I imagine they'd be nearly as expensive as a new jump starter(especially harbor freight cheapos).

That happens a lot with car batteries, they can read system voltage but be unable to move any significant current. I've never heard of a jump box having that problem though, but that's not to say it can't happen. Maybe you should take it apart and inspect all the connections. A bad connection will have trouble moving current too.