Fuel Pump Relay

pitzel

Is it normal to be able to remove the fuel pump relay while the engine is running and have the engine continue to run?

If removing the fuel pump relay = engine/fuel supply should die, and it doesn't -- where would a good place for me to start investigating? Oil pressure sender?

if you pull the relay, the only way the pump SHOULD be getting power is via the oil pressure switch. it doesn't rely upon the relay. the ECM control of the relay and the fuel pump priming connector both require the relay to be present for either of them to work though.

sounds like the pressure switch is working as intended.

alternatively: if you pull the relay while the engine is running and it dies, you have a switch/wiring issue or REALLY low oil pressure.

Saar, I learn something new from you everyday, no lie.

Thank you!

:thumbsup: then today you shall learn two things:

GM by and large quit using the oil pressure switch as an alternative fuel pump power source in 1996. so, that trick is essentially OBD1 only.

:thumbsup: then today you shall learn two things:

GM by and large quit using the oil pressure switch as an alternative fuel pump power source in 1996. so, that trick is essentially OBD1 only.

Did they do this because they had the airbags and other protection schemes available in the OBD2 ECU's? As I wrote in the other thread, I'm pretty sure the system is in place to meet a post-accident (or ruptured fuel line) fuel pump inhibition requirement.

One of my older cars from the 1960s, with an electric fuel pump, if a line breaks or I get into an accident, will gladly pump the whole tank worth of fuel into the ensuing fire. :lol: Turning something that may very well have been mere body-work on the vehicle, into catastrophic damage.

Edited by pitzel

not likely. i find it more plausible that they dropped it due to it being unnecessary..... fuel pump relays don't fail all that often.

It was my understanding that the oil pressure sensor being connected to the fuel pump was to disengage the pump and shut the engine off in the event of the car rolling over.