Convertible Top / Back Glass Install Sealant Question

Olds Dad

Does anyone have a recommendation for the rubber-like sealant that is used around the beltline where the rear window and sail panels are stapled into the tack strip? I'm replacing my back glass and it's got a layer of some sort of sealant over the staples - top has been replaced so I'm not sure what it is.

Anyone have any recommendations or suggestions?

Thanks

I'm using urethane (the stuff they use on windshields) to seal up my car... Try using that.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I just did the same thing. That gooey stuff is butyl tape. I was about to buy a roll of 2 inch wide from ebay , but I located a roll at work and grabbed a few feet. Before I found the tape at work......I was eyeballing some excess dynamat I had kicking around, because it has a bout the same consistency, and also doesn't harden. But then it would have the foil on it! It just has to keep the moisture off the staples. You don't want anything that hardens, because if you ever have to re-staple that area, you won't be able to.

Make sure you get stainless or monel staples.

Have fun

Dan

Edited by pubmags