92 Convertible Front Windshield Garnish Molding Removal Help Needed

Olds Dad

Hi folks - need to replace my windshield and would like to repaint / recoat the front windshield garnish moldings while I'm at it.

Anyone here remove these pieces before and if so what are the overall tips and pitfalls that you could offer up?

I'm a pretty handy guy but as with anything like this I don't want to make a stupid mistake and break something that I could avoid by knowing the right thing to do ahead of time.

Thanks

Be careful removing all of the rubber weatherstripping, it's made of unobtainium. I removed my moldings before I had my windshield replaced and had them powder coated. It's a pretty straightforward process but it really can be a pain. be prepared for the possibility of having to drill out a couple of screws.

Be careful removing all of the rubber weatherstripping, it's made of unobtainium. I removed my moldings before I had my windshield replaced and had them powder coated. It's a pretty straightforward process but it really can be a pain. be prepared for the possibility of having to drill out a couple of screws.

Can you elaborate on what you do after you remove the decorative rubber moulding? Mine need to be redone as well.

Since the late 1950s,[a][1] aerospace engineers have used the term "unobtainium" when referring to unusual or costly materials, or when theoretically considering a material perfect for their needs in all respects, except that it does not exist. By the 1990s, the term was in wide use, even in formal engineering papers such as "Towards unobtainium [new composite materials for space applications]."[2][3] The word unobtainium may well have been coined in the aerospace industry to refer to materials capable of withstanding the extreme temperatures expected in reentry.[1]Aerospace engineers are frequently tempted to design aircraft which require parts with strength or resilience beyond that of currently available materials.

In short, the stupid stuff doesn't hold paint. It needs sand blasted and powder coated because they never primed the dang stuff. They painted mine after priming but that metal doesn't hold paint. It hates paint. It is anti paint. Hopefully since I rarely drive mine, it will stay painted this time.