Any ideas where or what colors?

lumidohc

I have a 95 Lumina LS with an all grey interior. I'd like to get it professionally redone at some point in black but don't have the money for that right now. So I was wondering if you guys had any ideas about what parts to paint in the car and what color(s) would look good? I am going to paint the steering column and steering wheel black. That's about as far as I've got with this :think:

You can absolutely paint interior plastics dudes and/or dudettes. You need to take some Spic and span or some other kind of multi-purpose cleaner to them, wash them off real good, then take some mid grit sandpaper to it, then primer it in a color close to what the paint will be. Then after it dries paint it up:thumbsup:

I did the speaker covers on my rear deck about a month ago, turned out great and they have been in constant sunlight and no issues. Used Dupli-color Aqua Met.(same color code as Cutlass) and Valspar exterior paint in metallic gold.

If you want black go for exterior paint vs interior, it will stand up better. Hell I used grey primer on the Tan rear deck fabric and it turned out awesome to, still have that new paint smell mixed with WD-40 and axle grease. I love that smell.

You can absolutely paint interior plastics dudes and/or dudettes. You need to take some Spic and span or some other kind of multi-purpose cleaner to them, wash them off real good, then take some mid grit sandpaper to it, then primer it in a color close to what the paint will be. Then after it dries paint it up:thumbsup:

I did the speaker covers on my rear deck about a month ago, turned out great and they have been in constant sunlight and no issues. Used Dupli-color Aqua Met.(same color code as Cutlass) and Valspar exterior paint in metallic gold.

If you want black go for exterior paint vs interior, it will stand up better. Hell I used grey primer on the Tan rear deck fabric and it turned out awesome to, still have that new paint smell mixed with WD-40 and axle grease. I love that smell.

That's the right way to paint plastics and just about anything really... you have to clean it down, sand it, and primer it but lets be honest... how many people actually do this? I've seen a lot of cars on craigslist where the person bought a rattle can of paint, sprayed it, and slapped it all together... looked horrible.

I for one prefer to vinyl wrap things but that's because I like the clean look and texture of it.

Vinyl wrapping work nicely. In my experience, items that aren't handled/scuffed hold vinyl paint pretty well, but with items that are handled/kicked/scuffed, it's only a matter of time before you either wear or scratch your way through the surface. That's why when I painted my Regal seat parts for the passenger's power seat, I left the recline handle unpainted, even though it's graphite, and the other trim pieces are vinyl painted black.

Just tossing the idea out there, but I have found some nice black undercoating spray that cures similar to a semi-glossy black paint. This might be an idea for those panels that are easily worn out due to handling, kicking, scuffing etc. and want their interior black or a darker grey than the factory graphite color. I also have noticed a brick/concrete sealant that looks like thick, thick clear coat and I'm wondering how that might stick to plastic. Might get a small can and do some experimenting.

Thanks man! I'll keep that exterior paint in mind when I pick a color out:dance: