new firestone commercial

95toplesscutty

Its a 1994.
How can you tell?

Old Dash, but newer steering wheel?

I'm sure ppl are watching that ad not having a clue that the car is a '90s GM--unless they were a previous owner.

What wheels are those? They look Olds, but not Cutlass.

Those wheels are actually aftermarket.... I think. Either that or they may be from a 2002ish Cadillac Seville since it looks like they're still 16".

I have the 94. This car looks like it's the base convertible without the steering wheel controls. 1991-1993 had the steering wheel like this.

1G3WT34X8PD361392-9c.jpg

Here's the one in the commercial

5914370002_large.jpg?v=0

Yup it's the older dash, not a rounded one like in a 95 and it has the new wheel like a 94+ car. So it must be a 1994 that would be my best guess.

Ding ding ding.

and that's the answer we were looking for.

• 2 months later...

Love the commercial and I hope it drives up the value of my 1994 cutlass convertible. I don't love the fake vents on the fenders and the rims he has on the car.

Found it!

[video=youtube;z5odVH7R45A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5odVH7R45A

It's like that every time I watch this commercial I fall in love again with my 94 cutlass!!! Nice and very clean vert!! I wish I could see more of this in my country, I think mine it's the only cutlass around here. Great job and nice commercial!!

Diane Lelli from Las Vegas NV bought it on the 10/10/94 she is the first owner (I also have her address from that time!). Then in 1998 Jhon Wayne, (yes Jhon wayne!!!) somebody from the embassy here in Uruguay bought it. Then it has 2 more owners (but used it very little) and two years ago I saw it and fell in love!! And watching this commercial made me feel like the guy in it, konwing my cutlass is the best car on the street!!!

That's pretty awesome. I always thought people from the embassy would be too stuck up and pompous to purchase a used car.

You must get a lot of looks with that car right?

That's really cool. How'd you find out the previous owners names/addresses? Did all of the service history come with the car? I wish I knew even 1 of my Regal's previous 4 owners. Hell...any of my cars previous/current owners.

That's pretty awesome. I always thought people from the embassy would be too stuck up and pompous to purchase a used car.

You must get a lot of looks with that car right?

You are right, every nice and rare car here in Uruguay comes from some rich guy or diplomatic ones. But here a car with 4 years or more is just new!! It's common to see cars running here with more than 15 years. A year 2000 car here is more common than new ones, but recently the country economy has grown and there are lots of new cars and a lot of expensive ones (audi, mercedes, porsche....). Well the used cars are expensive too, I bought my csc 2 years ago at 14.000 US dollars!! And that is a very common price for a used car in a good conditon!! Everything imported here is very very expensive!

Yes I have a lot of looks here, especially with people who likes big nice american cars!! Last Sunday I was doing some repairs in front of my house and some guy stopped in an old Peugeot truck and told me he also had a cutlass. I was suprised that somebody here know it's a cutlass!! When I told someone that my car is an Oldsmobile they say ' Olds.. what?' jajajaja They don't even know the brand! And if they knew some Olds they recall some 40's or 50's car. But this guy told me he also had a cutlass but it was a 69 cutlass! He said it was in bad shape but I told him it was a really nice car he got.

Well, the first owner name and addres is written in the bumper to bumper warranty papers that came with the car. Here in Uruguay you need to make some papers called ' titulos' that tell every owner of the car so I find out all there names. If you don't have those papers you can't legally buy a car or get the cars plates.

You are right, every nice and rare car here in Uruguay comes from some rich guy or diplomatic ones. But here a car with 4 years or more is just new!! It's common to see cars running here with more than 15 years. A year 2000 car here is more common than new ones, but recently the country economy has grown and there are lots of new cars and a lot of expensive ones (audi, mercedes, porsche....). Well the used cars are expensive too, I bought my csc 2 years ago at 14.000 US dollars!! And that is a very common price for a used car in a good conditon!! Everything imported here is very very expensive!

Yes I have a lot of looks here, especially with people who likes big nice american cars!! Last Sunday I was doing some repairs in front of my house and some guy stopped in an old Peugeot truck and told me he also had a cutlass. I was suprised that somebody here know it's a cutlass!! When I told someone that my car is an Oldsmobile they say ' Olds.. what?' jajajaja They don't even know the brand! And if they knew some Olds they recall some 40's or 50's car. But this guy told me he also had a cutlass but it was a 69 cutlass! He said it was in bad shape but I told him it was a really nice car he got.

How many miles were on the CSC when you bought it? That sounds pretty steep for a car that's hard to find parts for in your country. For $14k in the states, you can buy a used Mercedes Benz, although as of late, it's proving to not be the case anymore.

So 3 questions come to mind...

1. What is considered an "affordable car" in Uruguay, and how old would it be?
  2. How do you source parts when you need em? Say for example, your wheel bearing is bad; how do you go about replacing that?
  3. How did you get the plates to go on the car? I'm not trying to sound dumb or anything of the sort, but I know Uruguay's license plates are more like Brazil's (narrow and rectangular) than the North American plates (which are more taller but shorter in length).

Also, as far as the titling goes, why is the previous owner record important to register? Here in the states, all we need is the title and the previous owner's signature. There's no need to show documents all the way from brand new at the dealer.

It had 100k miles, but the last owner take care of him very well (paint and repairs).

1) Well an affordable car here in Uruguay is from the 90's, better if it was made in Brazil or Argentina (so you can find parts). If I had to buy some region car I would get a Volkswagen (beetle or gol) or my favourite an argentinian Ford Falcon SP with a six cylinder 3.6 as we say here 'dog meat' because they can handle every mistreat you give them! Here cars are very expensive even the used ones, for example a beetle from the 80's in a sort good condition costs 5k and the average salary here is about 1k or less a month so if you think to buy a new car that costs 20k (brazil volks or some chinese car) you'll be in trouble!

2) I buy parts in amazon or ebay and send them to a place there in Florida that handle them and send it here. I have 5 ships per year with a 200 limit per ship including the shipment costs (yes it's stupid but that's the post office rules). Also I've been talking with a guy from here to find some parts like trims and those things that you can only find in a junk yard. Or travel and bring it with me! Last year I went on vacation with my girlfriend to Atlanta, her father lives there and I bought a lot of things and bring it with me. I've even bought a radiator and take it with me all the way to here!!!

Everything I can repair myself it's better than get in the hands of a mechanic here, you take the car for one problem and you get 2 more problem at the end! For example I need to change every bad bushing and I'm thinking do it myself, it'll take make 3 times more than a mechanic but I rather do it and learn! For example I've been having some problems with the IAC, sensors and other things and I could discover what was the problem and fix it, with a lot of help from the guys from here.

3) Well somebody bend it so it can fit, probably the one that worked in the embassy.

post-7625-143689160402_thumb.jpg

About the titles I don't know why they do that but I think it's because they are very burocratic jajajajaja and they like to know everything!!

It had 100k miles, but the last owner take care of him very well (paint and repairs).

1) Well an affordable car here in Uruguay is from the 90's, better if it was made in Brazil or Argentina (so you can find parts). If I had to buy some region car I would get a Volkswagen (beetle or gol) or my favourite an argentinian Ford Falcon SP with a six cylinder 3.6 as we say here 'dog meat' because they can handle every mistreat you give them! Here cars are very expensive even the used ones, for example a beetle from the 80's in a sort good condition costs 5k and the average salary here is about 1k or less a month so if you think to buy a new car that costs 20k (brazil volks or some chinese car) you'll be in trouble!

Wow, that's a major different from the states, where a 90's car is considered a beater car unless it's a special edition type of car or something with a cult following. For the most part, 90's toyotas are treated as beaters whereas stuff like Z24s, Caprice/Impalas, Broncos, and etc. are collectables.

When you say 1k a month salary, is that USD or UYU?

3) Well somebody bend it so it can fit, probably the one that worked in the embassy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16199[/ATTACH]

About the titles I don't know why they do that but I think it's because they are very burocratic jajajajaja and they like to know everything!!

That's interesting... I thought you would have to do that considering that in the US, the plates usually stay with you, not with the car, with the exception of California.

Wow, that's a major different from the states, where a 90's car is considered a beater car unless it's a special edition type of car or something with a cult following. For the most part, 90's toyotas are treated as beaters whereas stuff like Z24s, Caprice/Impalas, Broncos, and etc. are collectables.

When you say 1k a month salary, is that USD or UYU?

That's interesting... I thought you would have to do that considering that in the US, the plates usually stay with you, not with the car, with the exception of California.

Yes 1000 USD a month. If you have studies or some degree you'll get a better salary but usually it's between 500 and 1000 USD a month. For example I work in the telecom industry and I get 1000 USD more or less (24000 UYU).

okay, I will start quoting my salary in pennies. Maybe I will feel better :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about quoting mine in USD

US"Dimes" that is lol