A/C Delete/Bypass help needed

Senor PuffPuff

Hey, I guess it's been a while since I was last here... Mainly because I lost my license due to a medication that I have to take, so my car has been sitting at the curb for the past 4 months (since early Summer) while I fight the government to prove that the meds don't affect my driving. I hate having to walk home from work every day and see it sitting there with the tires going hard, but there's nothing I can do.

Anyways, I've been starting it up every once in a while to keep the engine lubed up (especially with the freezing temps coming in) and the other day when I started it, I heard squeaking and it just didn't sound right at all. I popped the hood, and noticed that it seems like the AC compressor clutch is somehow seized up. With the AC OFF, it still wants to spin but it seems like the compressor might have seized too since I have a leak. I figure if the clutch got stuck and kept the pulley going with that leak, it would have run the compressor dry and f*cked it (just a theory).

So rather than fix it I'm thinking of just deleting the entire A/C system. I know it's a pain in the ass, but as long as I don't have a license the car will just be sitting there so I have plenty of time to do it. I also understand that there's some environmental concerns but since the AC has leaked itself dry already, I don't see what more it could do to the atmosphere. I know just doing a pulley bypass is a lot easier, but I don't see the point in leaving the entire heavy system in if it's not doing anything. It's just dead weight.

My question is - has anyone done an A/C delete? What are some of the major steps involved?

I did a pulley bypass when my compressor seized, but I left the rest of the equipment and I'm glad I did. Later that summer, I dropped $400 and now have ridiculously cold ac.

i have similar questions since chilton decided to leave that information out to discourage shadetree people from messing with it, i have had the car through 2 missouri summers so far and it's not horrible not having a/c as long as my windows work

A/C delete pulley is an easy install, they were like $18 when I bought mine last year. A friend of mine just had the same thing happen in his L36 Impala and a mechanic adjusted the A/C clutch and now it's all good. I didn't think they were adjustable and still don't see how but it worked for him.

• 2 weeks later...

The pulley is cheap, just BE SURE you close off the lines, it will bite you in the butt later if you don't. The previous owner of my car had a pulley installed but the shop did not close off the lines, so therefore the whole system has been exposed to the atmosphere for who knows how long and according to every mechanic I've talked too just chucking a compressor in there and charging it up would be suicide for the compressor due to whatever debris may be deep up in there.