96 Olds Cutlass Supreme fuel module replacement

Ben Cartwright

Replacing the fuel module assembly with new Delphi HP10009. Verified that this is the correct part for this vehicle on the Delphi site.

[TABLE=class: tborder, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1]New and old module. Note the longer strainer on the new pump.

i-TDCQkHR-S.jpg

When installed the strainer/pump pickup sits down in this compartment of the tank.

i-TFmTNzX-S.jpg

When the old pump is in there the end of the strainer (long tail of strainer) comes right up against the wall but it lays flat and is not kinked.

i-F5vR35p-S.jpg

When the new pump is in there the end of the strainer (long tail of strainer) of course does not fit and ends up being kinked up.

i-CLSQ7xM-S.jpg

The instructions show the strainer laying flat along the bottom of the tank and to make sure the strainer does not interfere with the float arms range of motion. Instructions make no mention of being able to turn the strainer if it needs re-orientation.

I tried to see if the strainer would turn on the bottom of the pump so it could maybe be oriented in a different position but it seems stuck on there pretty good. I didn't want to put too much force on it before checking to see if they are supposed to be moveable. Or maybe as a practical matter the strainer length is not an issue?

Thanks[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt2][/TD]

[TD=class: alt1, align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

• 2 weeks later...

I just did one of these 2 weeks ago, measure the entire assembly just to be sure on length, I didn't replace the whole carrier as seeing nothing was wrong with it. It did take some fandangling even with the original carrier. But once it found its sweet spot it sat in there perfect. Hope this helps.