'98 Lumina LTZ knock noise

LumiLTZ

210K miles? that transmission has to be nearing the end of it's life

Still shifting out ok when the engine went bad, did a fluid change 30k miles ago and it still looks pretty clean, so I'm not terribly worried about the trans, just was thinking if there's anything I can check/make sure is good while I had the car apart, it'd be a good time to do so.

Edited by LumiLTZ

Are you talking about Pick A Part right off of Jefferson Davis Highway? That's pretty far for a yard with a poor selection of GM vehicles. then again I'm in DC proper, it's so much easier to go to Baltimore than Fredericksburg.

Doesn't have to be a rear end. Can be side swipe/t bone too, but that's another discussion.

I didn't know the other 3800s had different oil pans, I knew the alternator bracket was different, but I thought only the oil pan difference was with the Camaro.

Yea, I believe the alt bracket may be different too on them, but that's an easy swap from my engine too. I'm definitely going to have to head up that way to Crazy Ray's sometime soon to see what they've got.

Yea, I believe the alt bracket may be different too on them, but that's an easy swap from my engine too. I'm definitely going to have to head up that way to Crazy Ray's sometime soon to see what they've got.

Yeah, all 3800 stuff is easily swapped. You might also want to convert the heater hoses that go in to that tensioner bracket from those plastic pins to normal worm clip. Idk how fragile they are on the FWD applications, but on the Camaro they're known for breaking and the hose barfing itself all over the inside of the hood.

As far as Crazy Ray's, they have 6. The biggest one is Hawkins Point, and the closest one from Northern Virginia is Hawkins Point or Jessup; depending on your approach to the Baltimore Area.

H and w body alt brackets are identical in respective yrs. On the oil pan, some h-bodies got aluminum which isnt compatible. If its steel ur gold. Parts list for h to w-body swap-lower mount bracket, coil bracket, db bracket, dipstick tube, on some h-bodies the rear manifold, oil filter adapter, and id recommend harmonic balancer

H and w body alt brackets are identical in respective yrs. On the oil pan, some h-bodies got aluminum which isnt compatible. If its steel ur gold. Parts list for h to w-body swap-lower mount bracket, coil bracket, db bracket, dipstick tube, on some h-bodies the rear manifold, oil filter adapter, and id recommend harmonic balancer

I have an aluminium oil pan, I think it came off a S3 though. There's pics in my album that show it well. Notch the U-Bracket, no sweat.

I was told series 2 h aluminum pans are shaped different

I have an aluminium oil pan, I think it came off a S3 though. There's pics in my album that show it well. Notch the U-Bracket, no sweat.

• 4 weeks later...

Started ripping into this thing today, just a few odds n ends and it'll be ready to pull. The downpipe bolts tried to get the best of me but about 3 rounds of PB Blaster and I finally got 'em. Should have it out tomorrow.

post-5346-143689160187_thumb.jpg

Sweet!!! Gotta love the engine bay shot- its the official rewarding halfway point!

It is indeed... I also have rewarded myself with a 12 pack thus far.

This is a REALLY nice time to throw a PC Solenoid in the tranny. They're cheap off rockauto. It's cheap to do all the solenoids for that matter, considering what a motherless son of a Goat they are to get once the tranny is back in.

I'm 31 but most everyone thinks I'm 10 years younger. Guess that's a good thing. :lol:

I always figured you were in your late 40s or so. Idk why, I guess it's since you live on the VA side of the DC metro area and you need a salary of 150k to live decent out there lol

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

I guess it's since you live on the VA side of the DC metro area and you need a salary of 150k to live decent out there lol

Yea, it's expensive for sure around these parts... I think of all the cool cars I could have if I lived somewhere cheap (like NW Ohio where I grew up).

Anyhow, I tore into the engine some more... pulled the LIM, valve covers, oil pan, and other various brackets I didn't pull yet. It doesn't look pretty... lots of 'gold' in the oil pan...

post-5346-143689160307_thumb.jpg

post-5346-143689160298_thumb.jpg

Yea not good indeed. LIM gaskets looked sketchy and I'm thinking their failure might've done this engine in. The wife had taken it in for LIM gaskets around 145k shortly after she bought the car as it was using coolant, so it's plausible some damage had been done then too.

Well, wasn't anything in the bottom end, I spent a little time this evening on it and pulled the rocker arms/pushrods/lifters... And found lifter carnage on cylinder #6.

post-5346-143689160327_thumb.jpg