crosslace hope

redgrandprix

so i got some meguiar's hot rims break dust blocker to try out, gonna break the old toothbrush out and make a day of it then coat them with this stuff and hopefully it does a good job so that future wheel cleaning isn't so bad

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Meguiar-s-Hot-Rims-brake-dust-blocker/_/N-26soZ1z141u9?itemIdentifier=379666_0_0_&target=shelf

I have the same wheels on my 89 TGP I look forward to hearing the results! Anyone have any tips on getting them clean (some product) these wheel have been neglected! I was thinking abt having them referbed as the clear coat has failed too.

check out the tgpforums i know there is a thread there that talks about some different methods

i just saw that i jacked up the title :engfail:

Edited by redgrandprix

i just saw that i jacked up the title :engfail:

Fixed.:dance:

Clean the xlaces frequently and they really aren't that bad to maintain. A good spray on sealant or coating would be ideal for these wheels.

Mine are going through the bead blaster as I type this--parked in the house taking a break. First wheel blasted, needs to have the dust cleaned off, then painted. The rest will be blasted as I have time.

The gold coating was mostly flaked-off; and considerable corrosion damage. So much rubber stuck to the bead area that they wouldn't hold air. They'll never look new again...but they can look better, and be air-tight.

I am getting to the point where I am beginning to tire of the constant *toothbrushing* the webs to keep them clean every time I wash the car (mine are white),

I am considering getting a set of these....

https://www.kleenwheels.com/component/option,com_vehiclemanager/Itemid,0/catid,8/id,2613/task,view/

I recently saw a set on a prestige Fiero GT & you had to get reasonably close to see the shield, the owner put them on and he's never had a brake dust-up since, if they keep the dust out of the webs then I consider it worth the cost.

I am getting to the point where I am beginning to tire of the constant *toothbrushing* the webs to keep them clean every time I wash the car (mine are white),

I am considering getting a set of these....

https://www.kleenwheels.com/component/option,com_vehiclemanager/Itemid,0/catid,8/id,2613/task,view/

I recently saw a set on a prestige Fiero GT & you had to get reasonably close to see the shield, the owner put them on and he's never had a brake dust-up since, if they keep the dust out of the webs then I consider it worth the cost.

If they keep the dust off the wheels, they're also interfering with brake cooling.

I originally wanted to paint my wheels white, until I considered brake dust and cleaning them. I don't expect cheap paint to stand up to a pressure washer. The first two are Gloss Black as of fifteen minutes ago.

If they keep the dust off the wheels, they're also interfering with brake cooling.

I originally wanted to paint my wheels white, until I considered brake dust and cleaning them. I don't expect cheap paint to stand up to a pressure washer. The first two are Gloss Black as of fifteen minutes ago.

Possibly, perhaps not,

these are designed with directional vents in them to direct air to the calipers, they would be no more restrictive than steelies with hub caps, the alloy wheels that were originally on the car were just as restrictive where air flow thru them is concerned, but regardless of that, there's enough moving air coming in from behind the wheel that the rotor will not overheat.

The (front) rotors are vented. The issue is not getting air TO the rotor or caliper. The issue is getting the heated air from the center (finned) portion of the rotor OUT of the wheel area.

All OEM wheels are vented. The crosslaces and the original Lumina wheels have huge holes at the outer portion of the spokes. Other wheels have similar voids that the heated air being thrown outward from the vented rotors can escape the outside of the wheel. (Think of the vented rotor as acting just like a turbocharger compressor wheel--the air is thrown outward from the spinning disc) THAT is what carries the brake dust out onto the wheels. Installing a shield to prevent the dust from exiting the wheel also prevents the hot air from escaping.

First two wheels are through the bead blaster, and have gotten primer and initial paint. Detailing to follow, and paint is pretty thin at the "bottom" of the spokes. This is cheap rattle-can paint, probably can't expect too much from it. Intending to install a red stripe followed by clearcoat, once the base black is finished.

Before:

Grand_Prix_W_Wheel_001.jpg

Grand_Prix_W_Wheel_003.jpg

After: (note, the washed-out area lower left is sunlight reflection, not thin paint.

Grand_Prix_W_Wheel_004.jpg

What rattle can paint are you using? I've painted a few sets of wheels with krylon and duplicolor rattle cans that have held up way better than I ever expected them to. I'll have to search out my old post about my wheels here and post some updated pictures to show what I mean.

I painted mine black some time ago but I remember cleaning them. They weren't so bad if you're the type to keep your car clean. Clean them off really good and spray some sort of wax or sealant on them. Even if your not washing your car just try to hose them down every now and again.