Steering Wheel Backlight Question

ILoveSun

Asked this in the general section but got no responses.

Everything in my interior and dash works except for one thing: the lower right audio control button ("Seek/Prog") in my steering wheel does not light up. Is there a bulb behind there, or is it built into he button? Also, how do you remove it, just pry it off?

Thanks,

Greg

There is a bulb behind the button. Dont just pry it off it will break.

You will need some torx head bits and screw drivers. Remove the air bag. Then the buttons are held on my 3 or 4 torx screws. After that is off you will need some small screws to remove the cover. Then when the cover is off gently try to remove the buttons. They are held on by two clips.

Replacing the bulb should be simple enough and then just put it back together.

As always follow proper procedure for removal of the air bag.

Nate, where would I be able to source the bulb?

Greg

The question is not sourcing the bulb, it's figuring out the size (you know, like 194, 3056, etc). That steering wheel is more common than you think. It came in the Aurora and Eighty Eight so it's not Cutlass Vert exclusive. The color itself (the "idk what color I am" charcoal) is exclusive but not the design.

I did the favor of googling this for you, and I came up with this. Idk how factual this is, but if there is really no bulb, then Idk...

http://aurorah.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=1stgen&action=display&thread=2018

Interesting question. I rooted around for my spare 94 wheel but it didn't have the buttons in it so this probably won't help you. But in 93 and earlier the wheel looks like this:

picture3.jpg

If you flip it over you see a little round thingie - blown up on the right in this picture:

picture44.jpg

If you turn it and remove it, it's this:

picture5.jpg

They used these all over the place in tight places, I first noticed it on the back of a window control switch that I had taken apart. I also found one in a headlight switch. Maybe 94 is the same?

Edited by j_mezz

Nate; I suspect you couldn't find the buttons, because I'm enjoying them on my car...I still appreciate you having sold them to me. :)