Which DIC for TGP?

GnatGoSplat

If you were buying a TGP, would you prefer the factory LCD DIC or a VFD one?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. If you were buying a TGP, would you prefer the factory LCD DIC or a VFD one?

• Factory original LCD version.
    • VFD version from 90 STE and 91-93.

I want to sell my TGP, but I had switched out the LCD DIC for a VFD one. They are both identical in function, but the VFD one is a little more modern in appearance because its text portion is dot-matrix instead of segmented. However, LCD DIC is more colorful. I've been debating whether I should switch the LCD one back in. I was thinking if I were going to buy a car, especially if it's an older, limited-run model, I might personally prefer an unmolested one that's all-original.

So if you were wanting to buy a TGP, would you prefer the VFD DIC or one that has the factory original LCD DIC? The rest of the car is 100% unmodded and original (except the rearview mirror).

LCD DIC

5338460038_large.jpg

VFD DIC

5338460036_large.jpg

if i were to acquire a TGP(which i'd like to think i have less masochistic tendacies than that), i'd go VF.

i don't care so much for originality as much as function and appearance. shouldn't the VF version have a layer of dark plastic on it to hide the unlit filaments though?

i don't care so much for originality as much as function and appearance. shouldn't the VF version have a layer of dark plastic on it to hide the unlit filaments though?

It does, but it's not that dark. It's more of a medium tint. I didn't take that pic, just searched Google images for it, but it looks like it has light shining right on it so the unlit segments probably stand out a bit more than they do in real life. I can still make out the unlit segments on mine in the dark garage with only the courtesy lights illuminating it though, so they're definitely visible. There's actually no difference at all in function without the lamp monitor box which is only found in STEs (I didn't wire it up in my TGP, too much invasive wiring). All the unlit icons on the car outline in the middle don't function at all and don't even light up for the power-on self-test sequence. So appearance is pretty much the only difference.

I have the LCD one in my TGP still, its dumb. It seems to loose compass calibration to the point of me no longer caring about re-calibrating it and just letting it bitch endlessly. It is also a pain to see during the day when you need headlights on. I have a VFD one I just haven't given enough of a care to swap it out.

I have the LCD one in my TGP still, its dumb. It seems to loose compass calibration to the point of me no longer caring about re-calibrating it and just letting it bitch endlessly. It is also a pain to see during the day when you need headlights on. I have a VFD one I just haven't given enough of a care to swap it out.

I think it's the late 1980's in my TGP since I never bothered resetting the date on the DIC. One of these days I'll set it and calibrate the compass. :lol: