LED mirrors

no1kicker

I thought I would share my LED mirror attempt. I had a pair of 95 Grand Prix mirrors in the basement. I went to Advance Auto and picked up the universal LED mirror flashers. I separated the mirror glass from the plastic housing and cut the housing for the flasher. I reattached the glass to the housing, and attached the flasher behind the glass.

I have only done one mirror, I just wanted to see how it would look. I imagine it wouldn't be that bright during the day but would look fine at night.

sk42.jpg

ztky.jpg

Dude I have that same couch:lol: 2nd on the write up as I had a similar idea but never started looking into how to go about doing it.

I actually used to have the same couch too, we just got it replaced literally 2 months ago after owning it for probably 7 years lol

I miss it... :(

• 2 weeks later...

I'm very interested in this. Looks really sick!

Is it really as simple as popping the old mirror out and sticking some LED's on the back of the mirror?

You should do a write up for us.

First I pried the mirror and plastic backing (black) out of the mirror housing (green). To separate the mirror from the plastic backing, I soaked in soap and hot water for about an hour and then used a flat head screwdriver covered in electrical tape to pry out the mirror glass. Be very careful as the glass can break easily and the edges are very sharp.

I then marked where I wanted the LED on the plastic backing, and cut the backing. Then I reattached the mirror and backing, and attached the LED. The mirror and backing will snap back in place to the mounts inside the mirror housing.

I hope that makes sense. I will do a writeup when I do the other side. I actually started, but cracked the glass because I didn't soak it long enough. So remember to soak for longer if you're not sure and don't force anything.

• 8 months later...

No, I still have everything sitting on a shelf in the garage. Hopefully I will get to it soon since the weather is getting better.

Dude I have that same couch:lol: 2nd on the write up as I had a similar idea but never started looking into how to go about doing it.

So......you like my cooouuuucchhhhh?!??!?!?

Has anyone else tried to do this? I want to do this but I can't figure out how to get the mirror out of the housing.

• 2 weeks later...
I went a different route using BMW X5 side repeaters in the fenders.yraruvyp.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks real cool.

BTW what wheels are those?

The wheels are Eagle alloys 185's. 17X8 w/ 38mm offset and 255/45-17 tires (Corvette front tires from'93-'96)

Unfortunately the wheels have been discontinued for nearly 10 yrs now. The rears have 3/16in spacers.