Surveillance Mode

Senor PuffPuff

Anyone know anything about how to wire in a surveillance mode switch on a non-police Impala? Maybe even some wiring diagrams?

I'm assuming after wiring the switch in I'd probably need to reprogram the BCM, but I'm hoping not.

This is for an ACTUAL police-style SURV MODE switch, not just connecting two wires to the front/rear lamp fuses and switching it on or off. Although that will be what I'll do if I need to re-program the BCM for the actual SURV switch.

Thanks in advance.

One click on the parking brake kills all the lights. wonder if you could tap into whatever wire does that and put a switch on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol...

@Jake, I'm in a 2001 Impala, and the parking brake thing doesn't work. They literally just about bullet-proofed the DRL system on these cars for some reason. The only way I was able to kill the DRL's without an aftermarket switch was to pull the green DRL wire from the back of the engine bay fuse block, but now I'm getting the "service vehicle soon" light which wasn't really bothering me at first, but it's annoying when driving at night.

Well it took a little digging, but I found it, at least for a 2005 police model. The SURV MODE switch uses the exact same connector as the fog light switch, but with different wiring. I've broken it down below for you.

post-4737-143689135176_thumb.jpg

That's the fog light/surv mode switch connector end view. Here's the breakdown:

FOG

A - BLK/WHT - GROUND

B - GRY - INSTRUMENT PANEL LAMP SUPPLY VOLTAGE (from headlamp switch pin J via dimmer)

C - PPL - FRONT FOG LAMPS SUPPLY VOLTAGE (from fog relay via fog relay fuse)

D - ORN - FRONT FOG LAMP SWITCH SIGNAL (ground signal to BCM C3 pin B7)

SURV MODE

A - BLK/WHT - GROUND

B - BLK - GROUND

C - GRY - INSTRUMENT PANEL LAMP SUPPLY VOLTAGE (from headlight switch pin J via dimmer)

D - PPL - SURVEILLANCE MODE SWITCH SIGNAL (ground signal to BCM C2 pin B7)

Hopefully that all makes sense! If all the BCM's are the same... a little creative wiring/repinning and it should be an easy hookup.

*FOR ANYONE INTERESTED: The headlight switch with the correct SURV MODE switch is available aftermarket. Airtex/wells PN #1S10809, $119.79 on Rockauto.

**One more edit. Apparently there is a difference in BCM's between the two cars. Again, for a 2005 (Rockauto shows 200-2005 as a cross), the standard BCM is PN #15224204 and the 9C1 PN is #15224203. So it looks like a 9C1 BCM will be needed to properly activate the SURV MODE feature.

Edited by alec_b