1992 3.1 Lumina dual engine fans

Chris2012

1 doesn't spin. I haven't looked at it yet, but assuming I need a replacement, will 1 of those 12" universals Isee on ebay fit the bill? I'll do what's necessary to mount it. I imagine having something is better thrn driving around, in this weather, with only 1 fan, but I'm planning on taking an extended trip (1300 miles). I'm even thinking of leaving the hood ajar, though reinforcing it, the length of the trip to provide additional cooling. 189,000 miles.

Just so you know, they don't both come on at the same time. The second one only comes on when the primary can't keep it cool and/or the A/C is on.

The 1988-1989 2.8 5-speed Cutlasses and Grand Prixs came from the factory WITHOUT the second fan, without issue

yeah, you have to get the coolant temp into the 235 range for #2 to engage... it's difficult to do with an otherwise functional cooling system.

also, your fans are not on(or at least shouldn't be on, with the exception of A/C and under a specific MPH) while driving.... the airflow going through the radiator at 55MPH is more than what both fans combined move IIRC. if you're idling for extended periods of time, that will do it, so would a thermostat that's stuck shut.