Drivers door won't open now??????

jackhartjr

Thanks for the photos! I have that bottom one out. It appears I have one an inch or so to the front of that one that I can see when I pull the trim piece back just a little, and it screws in from the outside to the inside of the door. How would I get the trim piece off, talking about the one that is just over a half inch wide that goes along the top of the door?

Thanks again!

JAck

I am not recalling having to remove that trim piece to get the door handle off. I never have. Maybe someone else can chime in.

To remove that trim the mirror needs to come off and there is a screw behind the mirror that holds on the trim. Along with some double sided tape. I removed mine to have it painted a while back.

No trim need to be removed from a 2D Wbody Cutlass Supreme to get the door handles out, no idea about the sedans. It might just be wedged in there really good or someone did a weird repair job on your door. an you get us some pics? You did remove the Torxs screw from around the lock mechanism?

Edited by rich_e777

I just replaced mine for the first time and I had to remove the screw that holds the trim on at the edge of the door the trim was so tight it was keeping the handle from coming loose. I need the driver side trim if anyone knows where I might find one.

• 2 weeks later...

Which now begs the question, how easily does the mirror come off to get to the screw that gets that trim piece off?

Is it just the one screw at the front of the door that holds the trim piece on? And if that's the case, does two sided tape go all the way to the rear?

Thanks again!

Jack

• 7 months later...

Hi folks, I got the new handle from O'Reilly, when I try to put it on it doesn't 'fit' exactly right, like it's in a bind. I could not get it to make the door open, it would open from the inside, but not from the outside! I even tried to move the adjustment thumb screw up and down to no avail!

Any ideas?

Thanks again in advance!

Jack

its probably grinding against the lock cylinder which is keeping it from going the full range of motion and releasing the door, atleast thats what mine did so i grinded that pat of the handle down and it works fine now