Drivers door won't open now??????

jackhartjr

Hi folks, the drivers door will not open from the outside now. It had gotten temperamental lately, I would have to keep trying til it opened, this afternoon, it went all the way out, now the paddle just sort of flops.

What, pray tell is the fix for it?

Thanks in advance!

Jack

Your door handle is going to have to be replaced. Junkyard is a good bet. Of course, I'm assuming you have a coupe, with the door handles on the pillar, right?

Hi folks, the drivers door will not open from the outside now. It had gotten temperamental lately, I would have to keep trying til it opened, this afternoon, it went all the way out, now the paddle just sort of flops.

What, pray tell is the fix for it?

Thanks in advance!

Jack

I'm averaging one a year on the Cutlass...though I'll admit, all the replacements were already used (junkyard), and I drive the car every day. Not as good as you are at replacing them, takes me closer to 10 minutes. :lol:

My Mom's Coupe handles use to break so often, we got use to replacing them in less than 5 minutes! :roll:

I just replaced my passenger side about 2 months ago, first time it was ever replaced. The drivers side I was only getting about 6-8 months before they would break, but the last one I put on has lasted over 2 years now. The Dormans have a 1 yr replacement if they break.

I think there was another thread where someone asked if the Dorman door handles come pre-painted. I just bought one and it is painted gloss black.

Yea they come painted gloss black. My passenger side still is glossy, but the drivers side faded in a few months to a grey all most. I need to wet sand it and clear it.

Al, you said, "Good choice going through OReilly, thats job security for me lol".

I have an Advance, Auto Zone and O'Reilly's within a half mile, a NAPA not too far away and a couple more in town. O'Reilly's is ALWAYS my first choice! AND, they are the only ones that will order the Delo 100 for our bus!

Jack

• 5 months later...

Hi folks, in the middle of replacing the handle. I have what I think to be everything loose, however it won't come off, it's like something is keeping the very front bottom held in place, is there a screw I can't see, and if so how do I access it?

Thanks!

Jack

On the new door handle you will notice a small metal part that pivots. This is usually brass and the rest is black. On the inside part of this you will notices slides up and down on one of the lever parts of the handle. If you take some sand paper or a dremel tool and round that edge of it will not scrape but rather slide. I have done this to both sides and have not had to replace a handle in years. I keep forgetting to do a write up and take pics but tomorrow for you guys I`ll take one of my handles off and get some pics for you.

Might rock it side to side(front of car to back of car motion)while you pull up on it.

Edited by rich_e777

Alright, this may help. It's been a while since I have done this. There are two acorn nuts 12mm or so. Yours will be black.

3f138591-4a7b-44ba-8243-500b00ca014f_zps91090e86.jpg

Here is the bottom screw.

20131130_134214_zpsb742d49b.jpg

20131130_134217_zps5b01db08.jpg

It removes like so.

20131130_134232_zpse89554be.jpg

Then after that your handle should be ready to come out.

Thanks for uploading those pics, I cannot find my cord for my camera. So if I may borrow one for one sec

That piece that is circled slides up and down that lever but on the inside contact point it is a right angle which digs into the part of the handle that typically breaks. That is the area I rounded off and add some axle grease once in awhile and you shouldn't have many more issues for awhile. Ideally a small wheel or bearing would make it way better quality I think. If I had a tiny little drill bit and drill I bet I could Fab something up.