Crossover help

GaPrix

One of my passive crossovers is slowly going bad, and I don't know much concerning them, I've been Google searching. I've been reading about active crossovers and I'm pretty sure they'd be best, but I don't know what I should be getting. I have 3 way components front and rear. I'm thinking that this an AudioControl 6xs would work well for my needs? Vibe Space 3ds up front and Black deaths qb69s on the rear, pioneer 4-channel amps

Edited by GaPrix
Just learned my rears are actually 3 ways

I had a 3 way active crossover network and 3 amps in my 81 type 10 and it was only because they hadn't come out with components yet. that was in the early 90's. I hated that thing.

sounds like you got something much better already if you got 3 ways up front and 2 ways in the rear. that is what mine's like with a boston 150x4 amp and it sounds incredible. that and deck controls the crossover stuff no problem. JVC and most decks will have that stuff built in. you just need one with front, rear, and sub rca outputs.

Cool, I havent looked at a deck since '08. I'll see if I can find something like that, I liked the motorized face plates better over the flips if they're still made. Currently have a DEH-P6000UB

Edited by GaPrix

do you set the high pass frequency on it to cut the low bass off your components? the only drawback to using this for me is it needs reset every time the battery is disconnected otherwise you will turn up the volume and get all kinds of distortion. unless your amp has the lows cut off for you I guess.

so active crossovers are in your amplifier too most likely. unlike back in the day

moral of the story is go ahead and grab a new component set to replace the ones with the failing crossover.

save that set for spare parts obviously. or have low frequencies reduced to extend life of the mids. or seal the enclosure for the mids to help extend their life, but still you will have to remember to set the amp freq. and the deck.

let me know if there is any questions, I have been pretty good at setting this all up, with installing my own systems for over 20 years, I better be able to by now. :lol:

The deck doesnt have the ability to 'filter' for the front components it can only set the rear, if I'm not mistaken. I may have to check that. I do have them set from the amplifiers, I've never had an issue with volume distortion. I was considering just buying a new component set, I really like the speaker set, its getting harder to find them. I may just use this as an opportunity to re-do all my wiring too, since I kinda know what I'm doing now, unlike before.

Add-on: Researching this I see I'd need a 6-Channel amp for the front stage, seems the selection is poor.

Edited by GaPrix