Shifter Indicator not movin'

supreme_style21

Yo.. the little shift indicator in my GP pretty much only moves when it wants to now.. how do I fix that?

Its a column shift, so the indicator is in the cluster.

Take the cluster out and WD-40 the hell out of the sliding mechanism

Yeah crap. It couldn't go bad when it was warm out.. had to stop when its 600 below... too much work then.

Don't even bother trying to fix it. My mothers 94 4 door SE has been like like it ever since she bought it. I tried to fix it, ybut there's pretty much fuck all you can do with the column shift.

It usually always works on the way down through the gears, but it usually stays there rather than moving back.

What I do when I drive it is when putting it in park, I just just move it down a gear, and back into park quickly (from drive).

it usually always works on the way down through the gears, but it usually styas there rather than moving back.

Yep that is exactly what mine does. Sometimes it'll go back up.. but it won't go back any further than 'R'.. occasionally, it'll go back if I move it REALLY slow.. but screw that..

:lol: I thought I was the only one that had this problem... looks like a hell of a lot more have it than I thought!

My 1991 SE has the same problem, but my column shift has stopped working altogether. :roll: It is stuck in low. Is is apparent to me now that it is a common problem with them. I have learned to "feel" what gear the car is in. I have gotten so adept at it, that I never miss a gear anymore.

I have not attempted to repair it as of yet, but I plan an attempt when I go in the cluster to repair the problem with the low fuel light staying on all the time. I am also going to have to replace the turn signal switch. It has to be in a very small area for it them to work. Things like this add to the character of a W-Body is what I keep telling myself. So far it's been working, and I have convinced myself that is the case.

I wanted to let you know that you are for sure, not alone.

My W-Bodys:

1989 Cutlass Supreme SL - Coupe

1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 - Coupe(New Front Brake Pads)

1991 Grand Prix SE

Yeah I guess I never really look at it anyway.. I just 'know' which gear I throw it into.. but it still startles me for a second when I'm flying down the interstate, look down and see I'm in 1st. gear. :lol: