See The New Rims...Same As The Old Rims

The Burning Rom

I finally got two of my rims done for my LE....which means I can finally get those bald Goodyears off the front! [:D] I just wanted to show everyone how well they look after a good cleaning/grinding and painting. [&:] I'm not sure how well the clear-coat will hold up though [:'(] Hopefully it can withstand one winter.

Old:

Pic1

old1.jpg

Pic2

http://www.neonix.org/nero/LE/rims/old2.jpg

New:

Pic1

refurb1.jpg

Pic2

http://www.neonix.org/nero/LE/rims/refurb2.jpg

that looks AWSOME. I want to do that...when i can get something to put on my car to drive it with :)

Could you possibly do a write up, or your steps? They look great!

jon

I am in the process of stripping the clear off my wheels, then i will polish that nice machined face. I just started and its going at about 1/2 a wheel every day with all my school/homework/work/DARK AT 5:30! type stuff. And my friend stole my metal polish, but I'll try add a pic here soon.

thats kinda what i did to mine, ecept yours look much better, im guessing you use a finer material to give it the final going over, im gonna re-do all of my rims next summer, ive got all the work done but i want to get them to the point where there are looking about as good as yours are, nice work man, they look good

Nice work bro, and hey guys if any of you are interested, I have a set of those wheels for sale. Just shoot me an offer and you can have them, I'm not looking for a lot of money, just want to get rid of them. Any reasonable offer will be accepted.

did the same with my Lumina 16x6.5 ... use Blue Coral Polish it has protectant in as well as polish ... gets better each time you us it ...

see---> 355606_30_full.jpg

So wait, are those clearcoated or not??

Not too bad. :)

When I cleaned my rims up (top of the thread), I used 3M Scotch brite hand pads for the cramped areas. Then used 3M scotch-brite wheels and a die grinder to do the face of the rim. I could have worked on them longer and ended up with Hi-po rims by going finer with the pads and then buffing the rims, but I don't like really shiny rims.

When I was done cleaning all the old clearcoat/sealer/paint off, I masked all the areas that needed the dark grey paint, and painted those. Then I went back to the scotch-brite wheel and cleaned off any and all over-spray. After that, I sprayed them with 2-3 coats of Plasti-kote clearcoat spray. It didn't seem to be holding up well (when I first made the post), but they seem to be doing better after they've had a few days to dry. The clearcoat should get even harder after the wheel has been run on the car a few times and absorbs some heat from the brakes. :D :D :D

I still need to replace the center-caps and lug-nuts, but that's not a priority right now.

Sorry if that's not a real good "write-up" on what I did. It's late..and I'm tired. Tomorrow I start work on the other two wheels...after I get the refinished ones balanced. 8)

did the same with my Lumina 16x6.5 ... use Blue Coral Polish it has protectant in as well as polish ... gets better each time you us it ...

So wait, are those clearcoated or not??

Nope just polished .... I use a hand sander (orbital) with the blue coral on a shop towel and they clean right up ....better each time :)

those loomy wheels look beter than stock! ive got a pic of our old lumina pretty new...and while they shined...they didnt have that chrome almost look to em

jon

Clear coats was wacked ... so I tried it

They turned out pretty well ... :)

Black90Euro, thats exactly what I'm doing. Sweet!

Thanks ... :D

now if I can only get my rear leaf/struts , figured out.. got those Moog K6000's worked but raised the car about "2 (to high) now and has a hop to it ... gonna trim an inch off the rubber bumper see if that helps.

Mark

Not too bad. :)

When I cleaned my rims up (top of the thread), I used 3M Scotch brite hand pads for the cramped areas. Then used 3M scotch-brite wheels and a die grinder to do the face of the rim. I could have worked on them longer and ended up with Hi-po rims by going finer with the pads and then buffing the rims, but I don't like really shiny rims.

When I was done cleaning all the old clearcoat/sealer/paint off, I masked all the areas that needed the dark grey paint, and painted those. Then I went back to the scotch-brite wheel and cleaned off any and all over-spray. After that, I sprayed them with 2-3 coats of Plasti-kote clearcoat spray. It didn't seem to be holding up well (when I first made the post), but they seem to be doing better after they've had a few days to dry. The clearcoat should get even harder after the wheel has been run on the car a few times and absorbs some heat from the brakes. :D :D :D

I still need to replace the center-caps and lug-nuts, but that's not a priority right now.

Sorry if that's not a real good "write-up" on what I did. It's late..and I'm tired. Tomorrow I start work on the other two wheels...after I get the refinished ones balanced. 8)

Yeah takes a lot of hard work for sure but it's worth it I think to keep the Factory wheels. Nut caps prolly @ the dealer and the center caps as well.

Local place has Chrome Lumi wheel like $550 a set plus your old wheels :shock: too much , if you ask me

Later , Mark

Hey what did you use to get the clear off the wheels? cus I used some "paint stripper" i found in my garrage (thats as descriptive as the can was) and it works, but takes a long time. I've probably spent 6.5 hours to finnish the front rims.

Hey what did you use to get the clear off the wheels? cus I used some "paint stripper" i found in my garrage (thats as descriptive as the can was) and it works, but takes a long time. I've probably spent 6.5 hours to finnish the front rims.

Die grinder and some scotch-brite wheels :wink:

Die grinder and some scotch-brite wheels :wink:

combo of both ... :P