New to the forums. Looking to get some advice on my 3100

72cuttysupreme

many places... but primarily from a document titled "the motor oil bible" and the "bob is the oil guy" forums, along with some of their tech articles posted over the years.

Cool i'll check it out. Do you run 0w in your Monte?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 72cuttysupreme

• RobertISaar

• WhatTheFehl

• rich_e777

Not to derail, going off that picture I'm assuming that you have to remove the LIM to replace the distributor O-ring on a 3100/3400? No way to get around it with just the UIM off?

No but you do have to remove the plenum/ upper intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rails, and sort of undo the fitting on the thermo housing but only to get clearance for the distr. bracket bolt. Heres what i did, scroll down the thread a little. http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/76271-removing-UIM-and-getting-at-oil-leak

Cool i'll check it out. Do you run 0w in your Monte?

i'm planning on it being sold before it's next oil change is due... so i didn't bother to spend the extra money on better oil, just gave it some Mobil 5000 5W-30, which it seems to like. it also leaks too much(probably from the oil pump drive seal, from the looks of it) for me to want to keep it topped up with more expensive oil. if i were going to keep it around for much longer, both issues would have been dealt with.

i'm planning on it being sold before it's next oil change is due... so i didn't bother to spend the extra money on better oil, just gave it some Mobil 5000 5W-30, which it seems to like. it also leaks too much(probably from the oil pump drive seal, from the looks of it) for me to want to keep it topped up with more expensive oil. if i were going to keep it around for much longer, both issues would have been dealt with.

[hijack]YOU'RE SELLING THE MONTE?!?!?[/hijack]

i know a losing proposition when i see one...

for some reason, the used car market is on fire and this car can EASILY sell from private hands for somewhere between 1,500 and 2,000 locally.

i'd be stupid not to take that kind of deal. as much sentimental value as it has, it doesn't have much life left to the frame/body(engine and trans are running great for 204,000 miles), and i don't want to see the trailing arm mounts let go again. it's getting tougher each time to fix them.

i'm on track to have the 91GPSE from Ben on the road this spring/summer... since it's so nice on the bottomside, once it starts getting cold/salty again, acquire beater to keep it cancer-free.

in the meantime, the ranger has been reliable enough, even if it somehow gets stuck on flat, dry grass. :think:

^^^^

It's a Ford! Nuff said.

But in all seriousness, that's strangely odd. I've driven on several non paved surfaces with my Grand Am before, which sits lower than a Ranger. Hell, I took the car off roading once out of boredom!