Needing some advice

Godsson314

Hello,

I have been wanting a convertible for some time...not just any, a Cutlass.

The one I found is a 95 green ext, beige int

102k miles, new top, was told the idle control is bad and drivers window motor. Also, I was told a new battery

New fuel pump, mass airflow.

Should I buy or keep looking?

I have found one but not sure as I have read some pretty unfavorable reviews on the 3.4 Any current opinions?

The 3.4 is a real pill.. It is VERY maintenance hungry. Doesn't really play around much in that category especially the time belt. Prone to Intake and head gasket failures also. But if you keep on the maintenance schedule it can be quite a blast to drive.

Like any other GM 60 degree engine, it is prone to the same gasket issues because GM went cheap on the gaskets as well as changed over to "Dexcool". I don't believe 95 had Dexcool, so that shouldn't be an issue BUT the engine was prone to gasket issues just like any other V6 of the time.

Other than that it is equally reliable to any other GM 60 engine, BUT because this is a DOHC engine, the top end of the engine is unusually high, which in turn creates a tight engine bay. Thus, the car is extremely hard to work on and it is belt driven instead of chain driven. As such, maintenance is more or less a nuisance.

I've been daily driving a '95 LQ1 for going on 4 years now...they are somewhat more difficult to work on, because of space...but, if it's maintained right, it's not that big a deal to keep it going..and the first time you mash the gas hard, and see and hear that motor running at 6,000 RPM, and still pulling hard? You'll forget all about the hard work you put into getting it right. :thumbsup: