would a box help?

redgrandprix

i have sony xplod 6x9's rated to 350 watts and they sound pretty good but they are a little to big for the stock speaker locations in that only 3 out of 4 bolts line up so they rattle a little sometimes and my friend said if i were to make boxes for them or get some that they would have more bass and wouldn't rattle, just looking for some thoughts

I wouldn't bother.

Do you have pics of how they don't fit? I have some huge VIBE 6x9's in my rear deck and they fit no problems. Are you using the factory speaker shroud?

i've stuck quite a few aftermarket 6X9s in the rear decks of W-bodies without issues before.... i'd say that you have a "defective" speaker or the mounting plate was made oddly... slot the hole/reposition the speaker so that all 4 screws will engage.

I wouldn't bother.

Do you have pics of how they don't fit? I have some huge VIBE 6x9's in my rear deck and they fit no problems. Are you using the factory speaker shroud?

What Vibes? I have a the blackdeaths in rear deck, had to box them. "Spaces' up front.

On topic - you could probably slot or drill the holes like said that should help reduce the rattle/vibrations.

What Vibes? I have a the blackdeaths in rear deck, had to box them. "Spaces' up front.

On topic - you could probably slot or drill the holes like said that should help reduce the rattle/vibrations.

Aren't the black death's square or something like that? I think I have the blackairs.

I agree with everyone else. I was able to fit a pair of Sony 6x9s in my rear deck using the factory adapters. They fit - you just can't tighten each screw all the way down one at a time. Tighten each screw about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way down and proceed to tighten each screw about 1/4 of the way further, doing each a little at a time and in a "star" pattern.

Are you using the factory head unit? If you are using a stronger aftermarket unit, your rear speakers will likely rattle if you use the factory adapters, even if you tighten all the screws properly. You're going to get adapter-to-deck resonance if you're pushing enough wattage through them unless you use some sort of dampening material.

A box probably will not make a big difference in bass response, and it won't make any difference at all with rattling.

Box wont make a difference unless you have an amp on the speakers, and even then, 6x9's dont handle that much power.

I dont even have any rear speakers in my car. Just a component set up front and a single 12" sealed in the truck. And even then I hardly listen to it.

reason i ask is because i pushed up on the speakers from the trunk while they were playing and it stopped the rattling so i popped off the shrouds to tighten them and noticed there were only 3 bolts in each speaker, and i have a JVC head unit 4x50w typical aftermarket head unit, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+50W+x+4+MOSFET+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B-Ready+Digital+Media+Receiver/4707085.p?id=1218512775506&skuId=4707085

reason i ask is because i pushed up on the speakers from the trunk while they were playing and it stopped the rattling so i popped off the shrouds to tighten them and noticed there were only 3 bolts in each speaker, and i have a JVC head unit 4x50w typical aftermarket head unit, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+50W+x+4+MOSFET+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B-Ready+Digital+Media+Receiver/4707085.p?id=1218512775506&skuId=4707085

Pushing up on the speaker from underneath dampened the vibration you were hearing. I'm not sure how a box would achieve the same effect.