1990 supreme international 3.1 oil pressure at warm idle is almost in the low

tazman11683

as it says but there is no signs of low oil pressure just the dash saying its i bar from the red at warm idle there is no ticks no noises and its been like this ever since the motor went in 4 years ago oil is great and changed every 2800 miles by me with castrol gtx and a over sized 3980 filter any ideas ? could it be the sending unit ?

3980 would imply a FRAM filter.

anyways, hot idle with the pressure in that range isn't always a sign of impending doom. if it were that low at a higher RPM, then i would be concerned.

what grade of oil are you using? should be 5W-30. if you're really concerned about pressure, use an oil with a -40 rating(preferably 0W-40 or 5W-40), that will bump up pressure when hot at the cost of lower flow. pressure is resistance to flow.

3980 would imply a FRAM filter.

anyways, hot idle with the pressure in that range isn't always a sign of impending doom. if it were that low at a higher RPM, then i would be concerned.

what grade of oil are you using? should be 5W-30. if you're really concerned about pressure, use an oil with a -40 rating(preferably 0W-40 or 5W-40), that will bump up pressure when hot at the cost of lower flow. pressure is resistance to flow.

i just listed the fram number so it was easy for every one to relize i was running the s10 oil filter i am running 5-30 and th eoil cap says 10-30 i am sure its just the sending unit

the cap recommends 10W-30? odd.... anyways, 10W-30 is ok in the hotter months, i think i'd still rather run 5W-30 year-round and deal with slightly more burnoff.

how does the pressure reading look right after a cold start? around 60PSI? doesn't tend to go above that with some slightly higher than idle RPMs? then as the engine heats up, steadily drops to the point of ~30PSI at ~1700RPM (TCC locked in 4th gear at ~55MPH)?

because that is perfectly normal and expected operation.

I know the oil cap on TGP's specifies 10w30... but I thought all the rest of the 60v6 engines called for 5w30...

just looked and it says 10-30 on it and when its cold at idle its half depending on idle speed if u bring it up to2,000 rpm its 3/4 when warm its from 3 bars (one above the low light) at idle to 1 bar above half depending how i drive it

low pressure reading at idle would likely be normal.

CLARIFICATION NEEDED: new or used motor? known mileage?

new crate 3.1 longblock bored 30 over crower cam ported polished heads arp studed 3400 crank and rods running 40 pound injectors with custom chip strait pipe with a flowmaster aka no cat

at idle, it's not really an issue unless you can hear your lifters start clattering around.

if you're at anything above that and get close to that range, then you have some really loose bearings somewhere or are otherwise leaking oil internally.

at idle, it's not really an issue unless you can hear your lifters start clattering around.

if you're at anything above that and get close to that range, then you have some really loose bearings somewhere or are otherwise leaking oil internally.

thats what i was thinking

thats what i was thinking

well it started knocking like hell today it started by a check engine code scanned it was the ignition control module auto parts wanted 145 bux i did not have the money for that and i know there way cheaper online so i went to head home almost to my driveway it started knocking like hell no metal shavings at all in the oil but sounds like hell