Cleaning the engine compartment

godofthunder

Hey yall....

I want to spend some more time cleaning my car. While the paint looks like new now since I did that megiurs 3 step deep crystal clean-polish-wax....the interior and engine compartment dont olook as good. All I have to do to the interior is shampoo most of the carpet and just get all my stuff out of it (Since im in school and then rush to work...all of my text books are in the car almost!).

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean the engine compartment? I was told once to use like Tide on the heads and plenum. It wont leave residue to discolor when it heats. What all have yall done? I see everyone beautiful engine compartments...and want mine to look like that.

I have the 3100...The plenum looks great...just old I guess. My main concerns are the heads and just all the dust/dirt/crap in there. I think at one time it looks as if the previous owner (my uncles company) didnt really put the oil cap or something one right once, then no one cleaned it.

So let me know what yall do to clean them/keep them clean...any products, techniques, etc.

Jon Lumpkin

96 Cutlass Supreme Series III Sedan

3100 Gen III engine

K&N Drop in

One kick ass Green Metalic (orig) paint job

I used Gunk and 3M engine degreaser sprays on my filthy 2.8. Put a bag on alternator, avoid direct water spray on alternator, fusebox/ECM cover, fuel pump relay, coil pack. Rinse painted underhood surfaces immediately, I scrubbed some paint off the strut tower with the 3M degreaser. Repeated degreaseing from below, with car on ramps. After rinse, I wipe water off electrical stuff and start immediately, go for a fast drive to get some heat and airflow drying everything off. Use silicone spray to shine up plastic parts and repel water from wiring. The plenum is the one part I didn't really clean. Maybe it can be removed easily on the 3100?

Yea i baught this can of engine degreaser stuff, was surprised how well it works. i think u can pick it up at kmart or any auto parts place. like 88 said just cover the alt and try to avoid all that other shit. i even put tape over the battery terminals cuz i know with my luck itll corrode or something. Instead of driving it immediatley afterwards i just let it sit with the hood open in the sun for about 2 hours. also a tip is to do this at the end of your driveway or the street or ur gunna have tons of shit u dont want on ur driveway.

To appreciate the amount of heat and hot air in the engine compartment, drive an Astro van with the doghouse (engine cover) removed. Can feel a wave of heat and hot air from the 4.3 V6 after hard acceleration. That should dry off the engine compartment like a blow dryer.

Yea i baught this can of engine degreaser stuff, was surprised how well it works. i think u can pick it up at kmart or any auto parts place. like 88 said just cover the alt and try to avoid all that other shit. i even put tape over the battery terminals cuz i know with my luck itll corrode or something. Instead of driving it immediatley afterwards i just let it sit with the hood open in the sun for about 2 hours. also a tip is to do this at the end of your driveway or the street or ur gunna have tons of shit u dont want on ur driveway.

Cleaning battery terminals and cables with a wire brush and coating with Vaseline is cheap preventative maintainance. They corrode in normal use and you want all the current flow you can get.

Engine cleaning works good on a gravel driveway, the water and grease goes into the stones and any spots can be raked up.