Need Help Grounding FM Modulator in 2000 Olds Intrigue

mackid1993

I recently installed a wired FM Modulator in my 2000 Olds Intrigue, the Audiovox FMM-100A to be exact. After completing the installation, I noticed a rather annoying rhythmic popping sound over both frequencies when the modulator is powered on. Considering I attached the included ground wire to one of the screws holding the stereo into the dash, I have, possibly ignorantly attributed this annoying noise to a poor ground. If this is in fact the cause of this static interference, can someone recommend a solid ground location in my car, preferably under the dash. If the ground isn't the issue, I'd appreciate any suggestions to help me troubleshoot it.

Thanks!! : )

I don't know what it's like in the dash of an Intrigue, but if you mean a screw located beside the face of the radio, the dash you screwed to might be plastic. That's how it was on my 98 LTZ, and I think these days that main dash structure is plastic on pretty much all cars. Assuming a lack of ground is the problem, you have to find some metal that is part of the body or some metal brace piece that is in turn bolted to the body. Most factory radios are grounded via a braided strap that goes from the back of the radio to a point in the hole somewhere. If you have that, use that. But like you say, I can't be sure a lack of ground is the cause of your noise. The device is probably already grounded anyway. The outer conductor of the antenna cable is attached to ground. It's possible you created a ground loop somehow. But I don't know if that's even possible with antenna wire and bodies of devices. It's possible with RCAs and bodies of devices. Does the modulator require power?